Unusual Wood for Pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbuckham

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve cut a few pen blanks using Gorse, Sea Buckthorn, Rhododendron, Ivy and Laurel and have them in the drying store for seasoning.

Has anyone got any experience using this type of wood for pen turning?

Gary

Yes, to the point that I've been threatened that if I do any more before some of the other is used up retribution will ensue. :shock:

Main thing to watch, same with any green wood really, is that you cut well oversize so that you can still get a good blank after the inevitable twisting/bending etc. that will occur during drying.

Not tried those but I've got some mahonia drying out at the moment which is bright yellow throughout. Don't know if it fades or not will find out I guess,

Pete

I've turned a load of egg cups with ivy, turned then green. ony 2 out of 10 split. I had a few logs of ivy that i just left to dry, and they cracked with in day's..

I cut my blanks to around 25 x 25 x 150 mm, so should have enough dimensional volume after drying for making pens. I was quite amazed at how much Holly deforms and shrinks when drying.

Gary

Bodrighy":2yr9bl20 said:
Not tried those but I've got some mahonia drying out at the moment which is bright yellow throughout. Don't know if it fades or not will find out I guess,
Yes, it's a really bright yellow, isn't it? The ones I've done don't seem to have faded much in two or three years. Lilac is a bit disappointing - lovely reddish streaks when it's first turned, but these fade quite quickly, like a few months.

Latest posts

Back