Replacing rusty screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I am working on a set of Victorian window shutters- the type that fold back on themselves. When I removed the hinges, the screws are coated in heavy surface rust. I will clean up and re-use most of them on the basis that the heads of the screws are not standard and all match each other and the other shutter panels.

My question is: should I do anything to treat the holes in the timber, as they will be contaminated with rust? The shutters are pine, btw.

I’ve used Screw wax, beeswax , candle wax etc over the years but less so these days due to modern self cutting screws ..are these slotted screws btw as you say heavy rust ?? Maybe its time to replace them all so future maintenance and repairs are easier.. just a thought 🤔

Other than blowing out the holes with compressed air I would not go digging stuff out as that will leave the screws with less grip. If the shanks and threads are heavy with rust it may be better to replace with new. Finding slotted head screws can be a chore but places like ebay often have old stock screws. As said above wax is a good idea even on new screws.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back