Unblocking my drains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned in several threads that I live in an old house. I therefore have old drains. Over the years nearby trees and plants have discovered them and direct their roots into them. I have rodded them and called out "experts" with CCTV who have cleared them with high pressure jets only washing away any remaining cement between the pipes. I have had more luck dosing the effected gullies and traps with acid, which I’d been able to buy by the bottle at plumbers merchants where I was known.

Since the acid attack in South London new restrictions are in place and now it is only sold to certified plumbers. I don’t know any tame plumbers who would get it for me and I’m too much of an old skinflint to pay someone else to do what I am perfectly capable of doing myself.

What do others on this forum in the same predicament as me now do clear roots they cant get a rod to?

Cheers
Martin

If it is just acid you are after , then try APC , who sell a selection of acids at different concentrations. You can still buy drain cleaners containing Sulphuric acid such as Blockbuster,. And it is easy enough to buy Spirits of Salts (hydrochloric Acid) off Ebay

I've mentioned in several threads that I live in an old house. I therefore have old drains. Over the years nearby trees and plants have discovered them and direct their roots into them. I have rodded them and called out "experts" with CCTV who have cleared them with high pressure jets only washing away any remaining cement between the pipes. I have had more luck dosing the effected gullies and traps with acid, which I’d been able to buy by the bottle at plumbers merchants where I was known.

Since the acid attack in South London new restrictions are in place and now it is only sold to certified plumbers. I don’t know any tame plumbers who would get it for me and I’m too much of an old skinflint to pay someone else to do what I am perfectly capable of doing myself.

What do others on this forum in the same predicament as me now do clear roots they cant get a rod to?

Cheers
Martin
Sounds like they are deteriorating and will only get worse, blocked and also leaking out causing a health hazard. You need to lay some new drains. It's only up to your boundary, your local water board will take it on after that. Maybe talk to them first?

If it is just acid you are after , then try APC , who sell a selection of acids at different concentrations. You can still buy drain cleaners containing Sulphuric acid such as Blockbuster,. And it is easy enough to buy Spirits of Salts (hydrochloric Acid) off Ebay
Thank you. I knew someone could recomend a source.

Sounds like they are deteriorating and will only get worse, blocked and also leaking out causing a health hazard. You need to lay some new drains. It's only up to your boundary, your local water board will take it on after that. Maybe talk to them first?
Thank you Jacob. You are absolutely right, that a long term solution would be replacement of the whole system. My problem in this house, all the while we have lived here (nearly 40 years), is that I expect it will soon be demolished and replaced by a block of flats like next door and across the street were. I just can't make up my mind when.
The rain water from most of the gutters feeds into water buts that have hoses which irrigate the garden and hedges. The really only pressing problem are the traps from a couple of gullies and the flush of a downstairs loo, none which, unfortunately, can be replaced without considerable disruption. Putting acid down every couple of years has always done the trick and put off making a big decision.

One alternative is to have them lined. I had a drain blockage problem for a few years which was discovered to be tree route ingress. It was covered by my insurance and they came out an jet cut the routes and then installed a liner to prevent future ingress. Was about £100 per meter of drains.

This may be more for others interest than yours, as you say you may be moving soon.

Fitz.

One alternative is to have them lined. I had a drain blockage problem for a few years which was discovered to be tree route ingress. It was covered by my insurance and they came out an jet cut the routes and then installed a liner to prevent future ingress. Was about £100 per meter of drains.

This may be more for others interest than yours, as you say you may be moving soon.

Fitz.
I have ordered the Blockbuster niallY suggested. I'll see how that goes and maybe I'll have to go down the route you mention.
When they came with the CCTV and pressure cutter they offered that process at a massive increase in cost and to be quite honest they seemed a rather shady bunch.

I think I’ll investigate the possibility of claiming on the insurance.

Latest posts

Back