TV advertising quality!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ey_tony

Established Member
Reaction score
What on earth has happened to the quality of TV advertising these days. I know there has always been cringe-worthy ads but just recently they seem to have added a whole new meaning.
In the past there were some good adverts in fact sometimes they were more entertaining than the program they interrupted.
Not these days. For example the Tesco add with those people lip-synching I've Got the Power is just too cringeworthy for words as is the Curries ad with their beards or equally nauseating content or even the Domino-oo-oo ad.

For me personally the poor quality make the adverts memorable but for all the wrong reasons...each time I pass the places that advertise like that I feel almost repulsed and even less likely to shop there.

Ads like the ' what3words' or 'Nationwide' are quite good examples of entertaining but when you get ads such as for Super-noodle it's absolutely awful.

Maybe I'm just getting old and turning into Victor Meldrew but I'd say an ad which entertains and gets the message across and doesn't make you cringe is more likely to be effective than one that does?
Am I the only one who feels like this or are there others out there who also cringe when they look at ads these days and if so which are the ads which get up your nose?

Older ads were more straightforward, extolling the virtues of the product and why you need it.

They must have found that jamming the brand into your mind with idiotic skits is more effective. @ey_tony has remembered all the brands that are annoying him, I notice.

But yes, they’re very irritating.

It is not just on Tv, there is now an awful lot of you tube content that is no longer watchable because of stupid adverts. For me many of these adverts on Tv are just screaming out that I should avoid this company or product because it is operated or made by total clueless muppets. At least on Tv you can just put it on hold and then do something else and then come back and fast forward the adds.

I now use Brave browser just for you tube. All ads are skipped.
I think its based on Chrome and blocks ads and trackers
Yes, I use Brave for youtube now. Unwatchable without it.

Silly thing is, when it was a couple of skippable ads per 10 min video, that was fine.

Haven’t watched live ad-supported TV for some time, but here’s a wild idea; if you watch enough YouTube that the ads bother you, pay for premium. Or carry on blocking the ads - just don’t start bleating when your favourite content goes behind a paywall. 🤷‍♂️ Joining the dots isn’t hard. 👍

Firefox/Chrome + uBlock Origin = No Ads
Would that work on an iPad? I had a play around a few months ago with various browser/blocker combos and only Brave worked. Something about Apple restricting the scope of adblockers.
Haven’t watched live ad-supported TV for some time, but here’s a wild idea; if you watch enough YouTube that the ads bother you, pay for premium. Or carry on blocking the ads - just don’t start bleating when your favourite content goes behind a paywall. 🤷‍♂️ Joining the dots isn’t hard. 👍
Could be a bit short-sighted of me, yes. But not so long ago, when YT premium came out, my ordinary Safari/YT went from the odd advert, which I didn’t mind, to an absolute bombardment.

The ones that annoy me most, are the ones that are clearly dubbed. It is lazy and cheapskate and clearly signifies that the company in question can't be bothered to make the effort.

TV audiences have been falling with marketing spend increasingly focussed on internet, social media, influencers, etc. Budget limited TV ads will have lower production values.

Advertising budgets are directed at those who still watch a lot of TV - those 65+ clock up the most TV hours. No surprise daytime TV advertising includes a disproportionate amount of ads funeral plans, life insurance, mobility aids and furniture.

Gen Z folk typically age 12-27 interact almost entirely online - social media, networking, streaming services etc.

TV advertisers are simply playing to their audiences. It is increasingly difficult to differentiate products objectively, so advertisers play upon aspiration and emotion.

That I find much that is crass, simplistic, insulting or incomprehensible is motivation to switch off and find something useful to do.

Latest posts

Back