TRV adaptors, any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black tape was what they were calling an adapter. The nut came free as I tried to screw the TRV on. Suffice to say I'll be asking for a refund

17211356388587613624589272604525.jpg

hi
so I guess youre back at stage 1with further forward? did you try the Tado? might have the same job issue to deal with soon older people who don't want worrying upheaval

If you turn off the boiler and close the lock shield valve the amount of water our of the radiator is minimal easily controlled with a thumb over the supply pipe a quick replace with a new closed valve allows the TRV to be replaced with a new valve assembly, you can also get a silicone tray that fits onto the supply pipe that make it even easier, don't forget a towel around the supply pipe to catch any wayward drips.

The only extra I do to @MikeJhn is to close the valves on all other rads and ensure the heating / hot water is shut down. I use the bleed valve to relieve the pressure is the system if it’s pressurised or pump a bungs in the header tank system feed. You get virtually nothing out of the rad / feed / drain pipe.

Forgot to add, if its a gravity system turn off the water to the header tank or tie up the ball valve so it does not drop replacing the water drained out.

Much of this system is steel pipe, not much movement available to get the valves in unless the radiator comes off the wall.
It can be done but there's probably two days work for 2 people in it.
Most local plumbers won't touch it as they haven't worked with 'industrial' plumbing.
I really need to get to grips with thread cutting on the metal lathe. Nice little project for wet days

I have not played on a lathe since I left school in 1963, that's torn it everyone can now estimate how old I am. 😇

Much of this system is steel pipe, not much movement available to get the valves in unless the radiator comes off the wall.
It can be done but there's probably two days work for 2 people in it.
Most local plumbers won't touch it as they haven't worked with 'industrial' plumbing.
I really need to get to grips with thread cutting on the metal lathe. Nice little project for wet days
Not much of a plumber then if they can’t cope with a bit of Iron-no doubt they are fully conversant with plastic pipes and push fit joints 🤔🤔🤔

best bit of pre owned kit I’ve ever bought and it’s not had much use - 1.1/2 “down to 1/2 “ bsp . Absolute joy to use

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Your local tool hire place such as Speedy Hire will have pipe threaders for the old pipe, or you can just strip it back to the nearest fitting and convert it to copper with a male iron to copper compression adapter.

If you do convert or if you have sections of copper already then inhibitor chemical should be added as it helps prevent the build up of crud caused by the reaction of dissimilar metals.

https://www.speedyservices.com/hire/threading-machines
https://www.plumbarena.co.uk/product/adey-mc1-central-heating-system-protector/

Back