Trim router table for MFT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not as if I do not have a router table. I built a very nice, full featured one, four years ago, into the outfeed of a Hammer K3 slider ...

However, the workshop is small and it can be inconvenient to access this router table as machines need to be rolled out of the way. It occurred to me - possibly as I was looking for a quick fix before the next build - that it would be a fun project to add a small router table into the extension of a MFT ...

MFTRailHingeFenceMk2_html_439a9ef6.jpg

The MFT is built from mortise-and-tenoned pine, and is solid enough to use as a second bench for hand tools ...

The hinge for the track is shopmade from aluminium. Details here: https://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered Tools and Machinery/MFTRailHingeFenceMk2.html

I came across an inexpensive compact router plate and lift on Temu that looked solid. These are original designs, as far as I can tell.

I built the fence on the first router table, and I have done so again. This one is a simple construction with a different design from the usual for adjusting depth of cut. Let me know what you think.

The completed router table construction looks like this ...

Here it is set up with the fence ...

The router plate has above-table height adjustment as well as a lock for the lift ...

I made my own handle as the supplied version was not up to scratch ...

There is a rather good starter fixture with a bearing for smooth rolling ...

The plate came with two inserts, one small hole and one huge. The huge was modified to medium and another added using perspex ...

Note the blank insert made to keep dust out of the router spindle when the router table is not used.

Open the door to the sealed box to access the speed change ...

Also seen is the power switch, available from Timbecon (in Perth).

Below the box is a drawer for all accessories ...

The fence is constructed from 3mm section 75mm high aluminium angle 300mm long. The sliding faces are 8020 aluminium extrusions. This is all easily cut on a table saw. No lay out here as all was in the scrap bin.

The fence does not run in T-slot mitre tracks, but instead rotated around a locked pin at one end ...

There is sufficient forward adjustment ...

... and rearward ...

Dust control comes from a outlet below the box ...

.. and and above, using a double hose from Festool. This runs to a vacuum cleaner ...

When not in use, the fence is hung on the rear side of the MFT ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back