Trim edge banding?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

What would be the quickest/best way to trim solid veneer edge banding? I get a rough finish sometimes using a chisel and it gets very time consuming.

Thanks

How much needs trimming (what length)?
Straight or curved?
How often do you need to do this?

The correct answer, whether it is worth purchasing a tool to carry out the task, and what tool that may be will depend on your answer to those and probably other questions.

You can buy a cheap, plastic, edge-banding, trimmer, Or you can use a trim router with a bit with a bearing. Other options include a block plane and abrasive paper.

I generally use a razor blade. Bevel side of the cutting edge down. They are flexible enough to be bent flat against the flat surface of a box or table, then just pull around at a shallow angle. The bevel on the blade leaves the trimmed piece a fraction of a mm proud. Then block and paper to finish.
Works well for small stuff and awkward shapes. Might be a pain on something really large.
Never trusted the bearing edge trimmers since I had the bearing let go on one and it ruined the job.
Maybe irrational but have never used one since.

Hey cuz, I hear ya! Trimming veneer edge banding can be a bit tricky, especially if you want that clean, pro finish without spending all day on it. Here's a couple of tried-and-true methods to get a smoother result faster:

1. Edge Trimmer: If you haven’t already, investing in a good-quality edge banding trimmer can be a game-changer. These little hand tools are designed specifically for trimming veneer, and they make the job a lot quicker. There are manual versions that you pull along the edge, and they trim the overhang nice and clean. Festool and Virutex both make decent ones, or you can find cheaper options if you’re not looking to break the bank.
  2. Router with Flush Trim Bit: If you’ve got a router, using a flush trim bit with a bearing can save heaps of time. Set the router to the right depth, and it’ll give you a perfectly clean edge without the fuss. Just make sure to use a sharp bit so you don’t get any tear-out on the veneer.
  3. Block Plane: If you're more old school, a block plane works wonders, but the blade needs to be razor-sharp. Take light passes along the edge, and you’ll end up with a smooth finish. It’s more forgiving than a chisel, and if you’re careful, it won’t leave any gouges.
  4. Sanding Block: After trimming, running a fine sanding block (220 grit or higher) along the edge can help smooth things out without removing too much material. It’s quick and leaves a nice finish.
Using a chisel can work, but as you’ve seen, it’s easy to slip and get that rough finish. Maybe save it for smaller touch-ups or tighter areas, but for the bulk of the work, an edge trimmer or router will be faster and cleaner.

Good luck, bro! Let me know how it goes!

I generally use a razor blade. Bevel side of the cutting edge down.

Joiner I used to pair with used his tape measure to trim edging, not real wood veneer I hasten to add.

I could never figure how he did it, but he was just used to it, he'd extend the tape maybe 12", the measure itself in one hand, and the end in the other, then just slice down the full length in a single pass, angled at maybe 30 degrees horizontal, and just a slight angle vertical, never needed any finessing, job done.

Hi Folks,

What would be the quickest/best way to trim solid veneer edge banding? I get a rough finish sometimes using a chisel and it gets very time consuming.

Thanks
If the veneer is thin, ie. knife cut, you could try using a flat square file. After removing a short length of the protruding veneer down to the board surface with a chisel, place the flat side of the file on the surface at a scewed angle (45° ish) and push the sharp edge of the file against the veneer with a forward motion. The protruding veneer gets sheared off above the surface of the board. No downwards pressure to prevent marring your good surface. Condition for this to work well is to observe the grain direction just as with planing - and that the veneer is really well stuck to the edge.

Last edited:
Back