Tool collecting addiction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diytoolbox

Established Member
Reaction score
Can tool collecting become addiction? Something that keeps going on even when one doesn't need more tools?
It could be problem, if the amount of tools piling up in the house, and cannot find where the tools are.
But if some tools turn up for sale, and they are something rare, desirable and useful for the buyers wood work, then
the buyer would still go ahead buying them, which can also cause row with his / her spouse?

Could this be real life case for some folks?

Yes it certainly can but easily avoided. Only buy tools for a project where you cant achieve the same end with tools you already have or you need duplicates in different locations - eg particular screwdrivers or multimeters. One in the house one in the woodwork shop, one in the metalwork shop, one in the car etc. If you feel you must have a newer version of a tool/machine etc then sell its predecessor.
I'm not against a degree of hoarding but leave that for materials, components etc that "might be useful one day" NOT tools.

Its a mindset,
If you think it as an addiction it is.
But if you call your house a museum, then you become a curator of tools and antiquities.
Depends on what side of the line you stand.

I'm a curator of equipment in my mind, but in others minds I'm a deranged hoarder of tools.😉

What has helped me slow down my woodworking spend is keeping track of it. I write down every item I buy and seeing the current total makes me pause before purchase, especially as I make no money from woodworking.

That said, I will buy a tool if I need it and occasionally things that are nice to have. But keeping track of spending has helped me slow down and in fact sell a few items that were duplicating functionality.

I think in some cases it could actually be a genuine mental illness, but honestly it depends what you make and how serious you are, and if it makes somebody happy who am I to judge them? just watch some american pickers shows if you think you have a hoarding problem lol

I''ve always convinced myself that there is an optimum tool to do something otherwise I make a bodge of it. After thirty years I have drawers of tools - space has become a shrinking resource. :rolleyes:

Just to balance this topic: I - in my late 60's with three major medical problems - have contemplated my navel enough to realise there is an optimum tool concentration. Just enough to get the job done, and not too much/many that it gives my three progeny headaches disposing of them...afterwards. No, I have not watched Swedish Death Cleaning.

I've arrived at what I'm calling: "The Distilled Workshop". (I did debate "Refined Workshop", but if you've met me, you'd know that would never fit). I am keeping a Wadkin saw, a wee bandsaw and a baby planer thicknesser (E.B. 250) to dimension rough timber as my arthritic joints and spinal stenosis render me considerably less supple and capable of sustained periods of 'horsing oneself' than, say, 15 years previously. I also have a router and drill press to ensure precision when it's possible I'd wobble and kybosh an intended design.
So far, so good? The real question, that I suspect was being alluded to above is hand tools. How many of them do I have, versus need, and, are they of a quality that can be easily translated into money for my nursing home? Now there, dear fellow termite, is the nub of the question. I've cut down from.the pure hubris position of "who dies with the most tools wins" (Murrican boasting) to a more Alan Peters philosophy: "WHAT is the basic requirement to do this job?".
Given that the machines mentioned earlier grant me respite from hours of planing (AndyT and MikeG - amongst others - may recoil in horror at that) the answer is: "surprisingly few": 5 planes 8 chisels, three hammers, 4 saws, 7 screwdrivers, two retracting tapes and an (admittedly burgeoning) marking out shelf...and 48 clamps.😎
That's the basic list. I do have a couple of sweet little things I am just too attached to, to let go, like an old wooden rebate plane, but after that, they have to be gold-plated or an obvious cash-rich antique investment to earn a place. So, I have one Preston plane doing nowt, and I've just sold a Stanley Bedrock 603 or 607, can't remember which.
Less is more!
Cheers, the zealot known as Sam.

Nice chisels and right-price metal hand planes are my weakness. Just love restoring them to a usable condition. This year I bought another Stanley No4 £5 and my first Stanley No3 £5. Just can't help myself. Thankfully the local Car-Boot season is over so saving my pennies until May next year.

As long as you dont amass 2 or more of the same tool (not sure exactly why thats has happened to me!) then your half way there !

Musicians are afflicted by a similar condition commonly known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS for short. I used to suffer from terrible GAS but then woodworking replaced music as the main hobby. Thankfully I don't have the tool collecting problem, it's not a problem, it's not a problem, it's not a problem...🤪

Can tool collecting become addiction? Something that keeps going on even when one doesn't need more tools?
I think some of this can be down to thinking that " If I buy this tool then I can do this without having to learn a new skill to do it in another way "

Do we need tracksaws, chippies have been cutting sheet goods for decades with a hand saw, ie not cordless or requiring any source of power other than your own physical input but tracksaws have allowed the average joe to cut like a pro without any real effort or skill. So whilst you are tackling more projects and task that give you problems to overcome then it is all to easy to look at some tool to make it possible rather than invest your time in just learning the skill.

Latest posts

Back