Through mortice: My stupidest noob mistake

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
After hand dimensioning some cherry, I proceeded to mark out a mortice to cut. I decided not to use the drilling then chiselling approach, but to chisel it all out manually (practice and masochism). I made good progress and as I approached the other side, I put the wood onto a piece of scrap to prevent going through to my benchtop. Hmmm, stupid! #-o As I chiselled through to the other side, I heard and ominous "crack!" and sure enough, the other side of the cherry had cracked out. Perhaps the wood had risen slightly from the waste wood underneath and allowed this to happen. Or perhaps I'm just a dim-wit ](*,)

Ehhe,ahem :oops: So, I sat down with the Internet and a few woodworking books, and to my surprise, I can find no guidance on how to correctly go about cutting a through mortice. Possibly because it's so obvious it doesn't bear communicating, or maybe everyone in their right mind would drill out most of the waste first, but all instructions I can find make no mention of precautions, etc.

Am I correct in guessing that the best way is to mark out the mortice on BOTH sides of the wood and then chisel from BOTH sides, meeting somewhere in the middle? Or is there some other Old Master trick (like just get on and drill it)?

Thanks in advance.

Yes cut from both sides to prevent the dreaded breakout you experienced.

Rog

Yes thats how we were taught in school (back in the old days when students were allowed to use sharp things) mark off both sides and meet somewhere near the middle.

I would guess mark it both sides, pare it from both sides to establish the outline, and chop from both sides, sort of like doing a dovetail

Maybe use some permanent marker on the chisel to establish the depth u want to go to so u don't repeat the same mistake (u can remove it with acetone)

Yes, same here - chisel in from both sides. Some also favour leaving the last 2-3mm at each end of a mortise, so that you can then use the chisel to carefully lever out the chips without creating any unnecessary dents or damage.

It sounds as though you may have gotten a little bit carried away...? :oops:

Another tip you may already know - make each cut with the chisel only 3mm or so away from the next (that is, of course, when you're not drilling most of the waste out first).

Fromey":20b13rri said:
Am I correct in guessing that the best way is to mark out the mortice on BOTH sides of the wood and then chisel from BOTH sides, meeting somewhere in the middle?
Thanks in advance.
Correct. However you cut them (morticer, router or by hand) is always best to cut through from each side - Rob

Great. Thanks for your replies and confirming my de novo discovery. As you may have guessed already, I have no training in woodworking other than when I was in junior school many, many years ago, and from observing my father.

Make sure you reference your marking gauge from the same face of the work. That way your holes will line up, even if you're not quite centered.

Kirk
who made the not-centered mistake once upon a time (or maybe twice, or three times...)

LuptonM":2ehbgbi2 said:
I would guess mark it both sides, pare it from both sides to establish the outline, and chop from both sides, sort of like doing a dovetail

Maybe use some permanent marker on the chisel to establish the depth u want to go to so u don't repeat the same mistake (u can remove it with acetone)

Masking tape wrapped round the chisel at the correct height - normally does it for me. And yes - chisel from both sides, hoping to meet in the middle (usually minimises drift), that's how I was taught when schools still had sharp equipment (school supplied that is).

Dibs

Back