The story of English furniture, BBC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
Last night I stumbled on this programme on BBC iPlayer and watched episode 10, 20th century.

Filmed in the 70s and by today's standards very stiff and formal, 2 men in suits and ties talking about items of furniture they are standing next to. On the plus side, the chatter free approach means they cover a lot of ground quickly. Another plus for those of us old enough to remember, Arthur Negus and Hugh Scully do know what they are talking about

This episode ended with a rather stilted debate about the future. During the programme there is some really interesting (to me) filming of the Ercol production line.

I.will now start from episode 1, they are chronological, more as education than entertainment but none the worse for that.

Others might like the programme, just search iPlayer for the title. (Sorry if you are not in the UK, you might not be able to access it)

I remember their was a discussion (I thought on this site but I can't find it now) when the series was aired. I recorded the series and have been working my way though them (when the wife's out :)). I've enjoyed them. I remember watching them when they first aired decades ago. I'm getting old

This was mentioned on another forum a couple of months ago and I watched it. I agree @Richard_C that it is interesting.

The episode where they cover marquetry sticks in my mind. I searched for the company that they visited and they are still going.

It does in parts feel a bit like a Reeves & Mortimer sketch when Arthur and Hugh are in full flow!

Latest posts

Back