Table or Band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tazmaniandevil":2e33ltkw said:
I have a reciprocating saw, which when I was working at my trade we called demolition saws. Again, I wouldn't put it near large pieces of green timber for fear of binding. I've used it for cutting small branches when pruning a tree, but TBH a sharp bow saw is quicker and safer.
Yep, builders & window fitters use them a lot for removing the old frames.
FYI
Blades suitable for cutting green wood are available for recipricating saws. You should use the same tooth configuration in a bow saw if cutting green wood. It cuts much more easily & stops the blade binding. Chainsaw is quicker & easier though. A table saw is really for flat work.

- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-BOSCH-S1531 ... 4ab17fab60

woodfarmer":2lhui0dt said:
Please please don't buy one of the Botche easy adjustable electric chainsaws. they are the most dangerous tool I have ever come across having some real basic design flaws.

What's wrong with them?

Tazmaniandevil":3l2w17qi said:
woodfarmer":3l2w17qi said:
Tazmaniandevil":3l2w17qi said:
I wouldn't put green timber anywhere near a rotating blade personally either.

Why?
A joiner on a site I worked on was cutting some timber cleared from rough ground to build a fence for his garden. Leylandii I think. The blade got gummed up and jammed. It was one of those site saws driven by a small diesel. Anyhoo, when the bloke tried to free the wood, the blade flexed and kicked back, then spat the timber upwards into his jaw. Not a bonnie sight, and a very lucky boy.
As I said, I wouldn't do it personally - it's all about choices.

Yes resinous woods can stick. We don't use it. probably over 75% is oak, followed by ash, then acacia ( robinia) and fruit woods especially Merisier. the odd bit of chestnut and Hornbeam. You might want to set the teeth to give more clearance.

renderer01":oc75tzou said:
Hi All, Another usefull item to go with the chainsaw and the bandsaw is the electric powered hydraulic log splitter, I find this very usefull and easy to use more for green wood than seasoned wood, the reason is the seasoned dry wood can go with a hell of a bang and its a real ankle and knuckle biter scenario.

Rend.

Oh yes! they can send logs at an alarming rate. NEVER stand at the sides of a log splitter, and NEVER stand at the end of a chain saw. those chains can really shoot forward if they break.

Back