Suitable oil for a Viceroy Sharpedge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently acquired a Viceroy Sharpedge and need to buy about 1 gallon of oil. The manual advises honing oil, but this is pretty expensive stuff. I have read that an alternative is to use tractor hydraulic oil. Does anyone have any views on this (other than - don't be such a tight wad !!!)?

Thanks guys,

K

Paraffin - long gone are the days of 'Esso Blue' on sale at your local hardware store (bring your own can).

As hardware stores that sold 'nails by the pound, fork 'andles, 'O's' have been reduced to nothing more than racks of little plastic bags, where do you buy paraffin these days ?

I too lament the passing of those old, cluttered '2 Ronnies' hardware shops and go in whenever I find one.
Av-gas can also be used.
We had some 50 gallon drums left after a helicopter had been working nearby.
Not only did it help with honing but it also ran old TVO Fergie tractors.

I too lament the passing of those old, cluttered '2 Ronnies' hardware shops and go in whenever I find one.
Av-gas can also be used.
We had some 50 gallon drums left after a helicopter had been working nearby.
Not only did it help with honing but it also ran old TVO Fergie tractors.
I suspect that it would have been Av-tur.

Paraffin (kerosene) is thinner than diesel. It is the same as central heating oil, currently costs around 60p per litre when bought in bulk (min 500 litres). Cheap enough but it stinks. I wonder if it would work to thin down hydraulic oil, and might not smell so much then.

...currently costs around 60p per litre when bought in bulk (min 500 litres).

How do you go from 'about 1 gallon' in your initial post to 500 litres in this one?

If you are pricing it in this quantity, you need also to price up 500 litres of hydraulic oil.

And then decide what you are going to do with the 995 litres excess that you have.

To make a fair comparison with the £21.99 on your doorstep for 5 litres of the proper honing oil (£4.40 per litre), you need to find a price for 2.5 litres of kerosene plus 2.5 litres of hydraulic oil, both delivered to your doorstep.

You can find hydraulic oil on the same Westway site as suggested above (£10.99 delivered for 1 litre of ISO22) so just 2 litres of that equals the cost of 5 litres of proper honing oil even if you go and syphon 3 litres of kerosene out of your neighbour's tank one dark night.

Hi Chailatte,
I like your post, but I wasn't suggesting buying 500 litres of kerosene just for the sharpedge. We have oil as our central heating fuel and the 500 figure comes from the fact that most companies have that as a minimum delivery quantity. At that quantity the typical price per litre is around 60p. I suppose it can be bought by the gallon in a hardware shop but as has been said, those sort of outlets are rare these days and the cost would probably be significantly more. We used to have a hardware store in our local town, just as people remember - big wooden counter with the very helpful and knowledgeable shopkeeper standing behind dressed in long brown warehouse coat. We knew they sold kerosene (or paraffin as we always called it) because the shop stank of it.
There even used to be a van which drove down out street on a weekly basis, which had a paraffin tank inside. The driver would open the back doors of the van and there it was - a big tank with a brass tap at the bottom. We would fill our own containers. That van stank too.

Our local garage has the usual petrol and diesel pumps, but at the back of their yard they have a pump for red diesel and one for kerosene, so it might be that there are lots of these are around but people wouldn't know about them. We buy red diesel there but as I said, we get the kerosene delivered.

I am still undecided about which oil to get for the sharpedge though. The tempting thing about tractor hydraulic oil is the fact that I have a 25 litre drum of it in the shed, but I don't want to clog up the sharpedge stone if it is not a suitable cutting lubricant, hence my original post. Decisions, decisions ...

K

The tempting thing about tractor hydraulic oil is the fact that I have a 25 litre drum of it in the shed, but I don't want to clog up the sharpedge stone if it is not a suitable cutting lubricant

OK. Thanks. That puts the question in a slightly different light.

On purely economic grounds, the honing oil would be cheaper per litre. This is an idea I thought about last night: what is likely to need a better quality (and hence higher manufacturing cost) product? A stone over which you pour the oil and then rub a piece of metal on it? A precision engineered, tight clearance multi-bar hydraulic pump that costs a few thousand to replace?

The stone clogging might depend less on the actual juice used but on the frequency of use. If there is liquid running over it once a week, it might never clog (crude oil excepted). If you use it twice a year, the oil that is in/on the stone may oxidise and degrade during that time no matter how good it is.

The corollory to this is that maybe how often you use it should determine what you use for coolant. If your use is going to be infrequent, it would be worth contacting the oil company's technical department and seeing if they have any suggestions.

Latest posts

Back