Strange plug on planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curryjunkie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all got a new jet planer delivered, despite costing over 4 grand it only came with half a plug, anybody any idea where I would get the mating half? The plug is larger than a standard caravan hook up, diameter is 60 mm at the round end
IMG20240626225413.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240626225458.jpg
    IMG20240626225458.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
To you it's a "strange" plug. To a German it's "standard" (domestic) I think. To me it doesn't look like a caravan plug, they're usually much bigger and blue not black. Unless the picture is not showing the "real size", I think that the plug in your picture is a standard German domestic 220V plug.

If so:

FYI, there is really no such thing as a "standard Euro plug" unless we're talking plugs for just two cores, NOT three. With a three core lead (the third being the earth) it's usually the Earth "pin" where the differences lie. As in the case of the German plug you show.

In your picture, the centre upper "pin" (it's not, it's a socket, but notice the two bent metal strips in the outer perimeter above and below) ALL form "the" one earth connection. (Because the German plugs have different formats too. Do NOT ask me why that is, I have no idea, it's "just the way it is")!

What I have done in the past when changing such a German plug (to Swiss - yes, different to German! - or UK) is simply to cut the whole German plug off and throw it away (unless you'll ever need it again of course). I do that with both moulded-on plugs and with screwed-on types.

Then simply trim back the outer sheath insulation, exposing the three separate cores (they should be blue, brown, and green/yellow striped, just like UK, unless really old, which I doubt 'cos you say the machine is new). Then wire the lead up to your standard UK plug, just as you always do it.

I stress I am NOT a qualified electrician. But having moved around the world fairly extensively I can assure you that the above works and is safe.

HTH

Last edited:
I had the same on a kity 3636 planer.
It is a continental panel mounted schuko plug.
To connect to it, you need a 16A French or German trailing socket on the end of the power cable. The socket will indeed have two round sockets to accept the pins on your tool. Ideally an earth pin, but if not, it must have earth contacts as @AES describes.

If you can find trailing socket with an earth pin, this connection will be polarised and you can carefully check to ensure that live is matched to live (brown to brown) through the plug and socket connection.

This is what those look like except you need one without the spring loaded dust cover
https://cpc.farnell.com/velleman/e3...9605&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131186!!!network}!946426804527!&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZO0BhDYARIsAFttkCgV3CNiVHGgOkJlgvSM4jjKQVqYz8nznRGVdkGQU2h6-kOxP3CBHc4aAj99EALw_wcB

The panel mount version is like this
Schuko-socket-close.gif

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of the white bit?

Perhaps consider replacing it with one of these:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pe1663ppb/16a-240v-surface-mount-cee-socket-2p-e-blue-ip44/dp/pl08953
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pelb2309/plug-16a-3p-230v-ip44-w-mount/dp/PL17705

If you are lucky, it might be a straight swap.

A good search term is 'surface mounted appliance inlet'.

Maybe someone can comment on the relative dimensions of the schuko standard and the ceeform standard.

Edit: see post below. I mistakenly posted the wrong link. Sorry.

Last edited:
The link above is good and common practice - what I use on my own tablesaw - but the panel mount bit must be a plug, the cable is bringing power in and is live, so it must have a socket on the end, not a plug with 240v on the exposed pins.
So this goes on the side of the machine
images (5).jpeg

And this is the trailing socket on the end of the cable bringing power from the wall.
new2022_mennekes_16a_socket_240v_essential_supplies_1.jpg

You should get these from any decent electrical trade counter.
Single phase, 240v, CE surface mount plug and a trailing socket to match.
They are made in 16 and 32A sizes. The small ones are what you want. CE is better than what came on your machine, but if in doubt confirm with the importer that your warranty won't be affected by the swap.

The machine you received is the equivalent of someone shipping a product to Switzerland with a uk 3 square pin plug or socket fitted. It's ok but lazy and makes the buyer or the importer change the connection to the local standard.

CE connectors are an industrial standard and properly pan european. Everyone uses these the same way.

Last edited:
The link above is good and common practice - what I use on my own tablesaw - but the panel mount bit must be a plug,

Thanks for the correction. I am not sure how I posted the wrong link above. I have amended the post.

Some other manufacturers same items have four securing screws - in his original photo and in your picture, the inlet has two screws, so that might increase the chances of an easy swap.

Years ago a neighbour helped out my grandmother - she had moved her tiny fridge to the other side of a doorway and the lead wasn't long enough to reach the socket. He had somehow fixed a two way adaptor over the door - the fridge was plugged into one side and on the other was a lead with a plug on each end, one in the socket, the other in the adaptor. The pins of the adaptor were of course live and she got an almighty wallop when she wiped down the door lining with a damp cloth.

To you it's a "strange" plug. To a German it's "standard" (domestic) I think. To me it doesn't look like a caravan plug, they're usually much bigger and blue not black. Unless the picture is not showing the "real size", I think that the plug in your picture is a standard German domestic 220V plug.

If so:

FYI, there is really no such thing as a "standard Euro plug" unless we're talking plugs for just two cores, NOT three. With a three core lead (the third being the earth) it's usually the Earth "pin" where the differences lie. As in the case of the German plug you show.

In your picture, the centre upper "pin" (it's not, it's a socket, but notice the two bent metal strips in the outer perimeter above and below) ALL form "the" one earth connection. (Because the German plugs have different formats too. Do NOT ask me why that is, I have no idea, it's "just the way it is")!

What I have done in the past when changing such a German plug (to Swiss - yes, different to German! - or UK) is simply to cut the whole German plug off and throw it away (unless you'll ever need it again of course). I do that with both moulded-on plugs and with screwed-on types.

Then simply trim back the outer sheath insulation, exposing the three separate cores (they should be blue, brown, and green/yellow striped, just like UK, unless really old, which I doubt 'cos you say the machine is new). Then wire the lead up to your standard UK plug, just as you always do it.

I stress I am NOT a qualified electrician. But having moved around the world fairly extensively I can assure you that the above works and is safe.

HTH
it was sourced from france by a uk distributor, the labels on the crate stated this. ive ordered a whole new surface mounted plug and mating part in uk spec, thanks

Latest posts

Back