Step Stool in Brown Oak - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olly - nice job. I've never used any Brown Oak but am tempted to obtain a bit and see what it's like. I fancy making one of the stools (similar to yours) in the back of Alan Peter's book...it's the one with the dished seat where he recommends a curved sole jack plane to do the dishing...if you follow :? :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":1bkahxx8 said:
he recommends a curved sole jack plane to do the dishing...if you follow :? :lol: - Rob

Not an excuse for another plane, surely :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Karl":1nur3ycg said:
woodbloke":1nur3ycg said:
he recommends a curved sole jack plane to do the dishing...if you follow :? :lol: - Rob

Not an excuse for another plane, surely :lol:

Cheers

Karl
I have a curved sole plane already (a small maple and rosewood one) already Karl, but there just happens :whistle: :D to be a nice 2" woody jack in Penny Farthing Tools that would do rather well. I can see a visit into town this weekend is on the cards - Rob

Sounds interesting, Rob. I look forward to seeing photos! :wink:

I think I know the one you mean (although, I haven't yet bought his book... :oops:). Is it similar the the one Nick made in BWW a few months back?

OPJ":26ruanbz said:
I think I know the one you mean (although, I haven't yet bought his book... :oops:). Is it similar the the one Nick made in BWW a few months back?
Olly - yup, that's the one, based on a design in Alan's book. I don't recollect how Nick dished the seat, but Alan P recommends a 2" woody where the sole has been planed convex and then the cutter is ground to match. The book btw is well worth buying - Rob

Nick created most of the 'dishing' by guiding a circular saw along at an angle, increasing the depth of cut with each pass... Similar to the kind of thing Americans do on a table saw to create coving... Except, they probably try and do it in one pass! :? :shock:

He might have then used one of James Mursell's wooden planes to clean it up but, I can't fully remember.

There is another way....

You can suspend your router on a cable/chain above your piece (very securely of course) with the cutter in place and extended below the base. Then you can swing (very gently) your router like a pendulum, going lower or your piece going higher after each pass. It will cut a perfect indent and if you so wish a perfect circle with the only marking needed the initial lining up.

Obvious H&S statement about using your router as a pendulum and the attendant dangers. No more dangerous than a tablesaw or spindle moulder I would say and you'd have to swing the router a long way before the bit could get to an angle where it could harm you

Ironballs":326bf92z said:
You can suspend your router on a cable/chain above your piece (very securely of course) with the cutter in place and extended below the base. Then you can swing (very gently) your router like a pendulum, going lower or your piece going higher after each pass. It will cut a perfect indent and if you so wish a perfect circle with the only marking needed the initial lining up.
Hmm think you need to lay down in a dark room for a little while, hopefully the men in white coats are busy and wont call for you tonight. :shock:

This does not sound like a good idea.

I think with care you could make a cradle that slides along the top, which has curved runners the you could slide the router backwards and forwards on thus cutting the curve.
The idea for the router swinging in free space does not appeal, the cut would be a curve in all directions, or is that what you are trying to achieve?

DaveL":36t0k77t said:
Ironballs":36t0k77t said:
Hmm think you need to lay down in a dark room for a little while, hopefully the men in white coats are busy and wont call for you tonight. :shock:

This does not sound like a good idea.

I think with care you could make a cradle that slides along the top, which has curved runners the you could slide the router backwards and forwards on thus cutting the curve.
The idea for the router swinging in free space does not appeal, the cut would be a curve in all directions, or is that what you are trying to achieve?
They don't call him Ironballs for nothing.

Quick, everyone hide Matrons coming.

I saw a piece displayed at the Harrogate show last year that had a lovely indentation in the top and asked how they'd made it, as it looked perfect. The answer was the one I passed on and done in a college too.

It may sound odd at first, but I think it could be done safely and is no more dangerous than a lot of hand held routing I have seen that's deemed safe.

I would agree though, not for the inexperienced

Ironballs":2hqkib7m said:
There is another way....

You can suspend your router on a cable/chain above your piece (very securely of course) with the cutter in place and extended below the base. Then you can swing (very gently) your router like a pendulum, going lower or your piece going higher after each pass.
This sounds interesting Damian, if not a bit of a scary :shock: and a vastly over complicated way to do what's basically dead easy with a curved sole plane.

I've also got visions of the 'Pit and the Pendulum' 8-[ - Rob

Latest posts

Back