Stanley 75

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Stanley 75 from the well known auction site.
What angle should the iron be sharpened at? Single or double bevel?

whiskywill":9yo5ixx3 said:
I have just bought a Stanley 75 from the well known auction site.
What angle should the iron be sharpened at? Single or double bevel?

Personally, I'd sharpen the blade with a primary at 25 and a secondary at 30, install the blade, put the plane on the shelf...

... and leave it there until hell froze over.

It's not a nice tool.

If we're being unhelpfully pedantic, woodwork could (in theory) be done with it, but it wouldn't be very enjoyable.

Here's a detailed thread from elsewhere:

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/ ... /saw-till/

BugBear

BB's right; it's not a nice tool, but sold successfully because it was widely available and the cheapest all-metal bullnose rebate plane. I have one, bought new, and it's not been out of its box many times.

Alf's website shows a tip from an old Woodworker magazine which could possibly make it more useful here: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/wwtipstwo.html

912.jpg

+1 for the 25/30 sharpening tip. I have the Record equivalent, which is probably slightly better than the Stanley version??
It's far from being my favourite tool, but it does earn its keep nevertheless. It has certainly repaid the fiver it cost me.

The extra handle looks a great idea - I'm sure the 75 would work much better if you could get a decent grip on the thing!

Aha - so that's the identity of that funny little plane that was sitting in a box off odds and ends............... tried sharpening it up, but still haven't found a real use for it.

Thanks for the advice. I am a hobby stringed instrument maker and it seemed ideal for trimming thin or small section pieces. I will sharpen it as advised and persevere ......... unless somebody wants to make an offer. :D

I concur with all the above, Mr Stanley definitely had an off day when he designed the 75.

If you really want to try using a 75 then you’ll need to make some sort of handle, the basic plane is almost impossible to hold without the top of the blade digging into your hand. There is a flat at the back of the casting which can be easily drilled or tapped.

I think all of us must have this sort of tool lurking in the depths of a toolbox, something which was bought before we had the experience to know better.

I’ve went back to it a couple of times, to level the sole of the front piece with the body and to fit a handle, and each time concluded that it’s not worth the bother. The only time I might use it is if I’m worried about hitting metal in a piece of wood where I wouldn’t want to risk a decent tool.
IMAG0590.jpg
IMAG0591.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,498
  • IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,500
Hi, :D
Me too, I purchased the Stanley 75 when not too much expert with hand planes.
I tried to tuning up mine; the main defect I found was a bad grip of lever cap on the blade and the difficult to set properly the cutting deep (it lacks of any adjusting mechanism) .
I use it for rabbet finishing on soft woods and light edge chamfering.

Ciao
Giuliano

Latest posts

Back