Source of thin wide boards - Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Wheeler

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be making a couple of cabinets and as they are going to be fiddly and use a lot of wood.

I wondered if anybody has a good UK source for thin (10mm or under) cut walnut (doesn’t have to be walnut, could be something else).

I can resaw larger pieces and have a thicknesser and drum sander but I would prefer to spend time on the making rather than the wood prep - trouble is the few places I have found online are way more expensive than I want to spend!

Last edited:
Hi Jason, could you buy the thickest construction veneer and glue it back together in a vacuum press? Not sure how it would work out pricewise.
Pete

I am going to be making a couple of cabinets and as they are going to be fiddly and use a lot golf wood, I wondered if anybody has a good UK source for thin (10mm or under) cut walnut (doesn’t have to be walnut, could be something else) - I can resaw larger pieces and have a thicknesser and drum sander but I would prefer to spend time on the making rather than the wood prep - trouble is the few places I have found online are way more expensive than I want to spend!
I assume that you want ABW - in which case, it is (relatively) expensive. I buy from Whitmore's in Claybrook Magna, Leicestershire. but you don't indicate (in your profile) where you are located so I have no idea whether that is a viable place for you to visit. You could no doubt 'buy blind' - ie. let them select a board (or two) for you. They do have vast stocks.

The last I bought was a 3m length of 1¼" x ~4" which cost me £38 collected, which may give you an idea.

That’s a really interesting thought, thank you - I have vacuum pressed veneer before although admittedly only small pieces and never thought about making a veneer ply - not sure how it would look on exposed joints though..

I assume that you want ABW - in which case, it is (relatively) expensive. I buy from Whitmore's in Claybrook Magna, Leicestershire. but you don't indicate (in your profile) where you are located so I have no idea whether that is a viable place for you to visit. You could no doubt 'buy blind' - ie. let them select a board (or two) for you. They do have vast stocks.

The last I bought was a 3m length of 1¼" x ~4" which cost me £38 collected, which may give you an idea.
Am in Northants so not too far - that’s a better board price than I have been seeing, thank you, although the it’s a lot of resawing if I go that route

Back