Some mistake, surely?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to work one day about 30 years ago and someone shouted he's here! I said what's the problem? How many fluid ounces are there in a litre? No one in the kitchen knew, and I was a cellarman. Shortly before they'd had an argument as to whether there two or three feet in a yard.
I found one of my school exercise books from about '64 (I was 10) with sums in pounds, shillings, pence and farthings - miles, furlongs, chains, rods, yards, feet and inches - and even gallons, pecks and bushels. Metric is rather simpler.
Late '80's my nephew did some work experience with me in my workshop, I asked him, one day, to get me a 1/2" spanner; "What's that?", he asked. DUH!!

There was no problem with the good olde feet and inches, and pounds, shillings, and pence...

Worked for yonks and everyone leaving skool - having bin properly tort and so on... cud understand it (lyke wot I did and still duz). Almost everyone in those daze could simple sums in their head - no need of calcuators; and shop assitants didn't rely on the till to tell them what change they have to return to customer (when appropriate).

I'm the same with Fahrenheit and Centigrade.
Still feel obliged to use the old 9,5 and 32 during any forecast....
68F feels a lot hotter than 20C!

During my apprenticeship, for calculating temperature I was taught to add 40 and them multiply by 5/9 or 9/5 (depending which way you are going) and then to take 40 off of the result. I like to do this calc. in my head (stirs up the old grey cells!). I have never forgotten BOMDAS in algebra either, funny how some things stick and others fade away? Where are you youngsters when their phone goes dead?

During my apprenticeship, for calculating temperature I was taught to add 40 and them multiply by 5/9 or 9/5 (depending which way you are going) and then to take 40 off of the result. I like to do this calc. in my head (stirs up the old grey cells!). I have never forgotten BOMDAS in algebra either, funny how some things stick and others fade away? Where are you youngsters when their phone goes dead?
Never come across that method. Why would you add 40 and subtract 40 when you could simply add or subtract 32(depending on which way you are going)?

Where are you youngsters when their phone goes dead
I don't know, and neither do they.

I read a Sci-Fi story long ago. Can't remember who it was by or much about it really. The gist of it was that virtual immortality had been found, but with the cost that you lost your memory. To counter this everyone carried a pocket computer that they used to record their memories on. Sounds familiar somehow.
The irony from looking at things probably 50 years later, is that we don't have the immortality, but we do have the loss of memory caused by carrying a sort of recording device. An almost inverse case.

Back