Some mistake, surely?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
details of a Record 3VS vice on Amazon. So that's one foot eight by one foot eight x eleven inches and it weighs less than two pounds. I wonder what it's made of? Polystyrene? :LOL:
MaterialDuctile Iron, Iron
BrandIRWIN
Item dimensions L x W x H50 x 50 x 28 centimetres
ColourSilver
StyleSafety
Item weight0.85 Kilograms

When making a piece of furniture for a Park Lane, Hotel, I queried a dimension given by the Chief Engineer (Irish) as it was way off. He replied "when I was at school they were changing from imperial to metric, so I never learnt either"!
A few years ago I was turned down for a knee joint replacement as my BMI was too high, the my medical centre had stated that I was 178 Kg (I am actually 103Kg). When I found out, I told the GP that if I was that big I would not get through his door! My guess was that a nurse could not calculate stones to Kg.

I've always thought the problem with the decimal system in this Country was that we should have done as Oz and NZ did and changed everything at the same time instead of piecemeal.
It is strange that our road signs and speed limits are still in miles. What's the reasoning behind that, I wonder?

I left school in 1974. We were pretty much full decimal back then. Bits and pieces outstanding for sure, but really?

50 years later, there's still a problem?

When making a piece of furniture for a Park Lane, Hotel, I queried a dimension given by the Chief Engineer (Irish) as it was way off. He replied "when I was at school they were changing from imperial to metric, so I never learnt either"!
A few years ago I was turned down for a knee joint replacement as my BMI was too high, the my medical centre had stated that I was 178 Kg (I am actually 103Kg). When I found out, I told the GP that if I was that big I would not get through his door! My guess was that a nurse could not calculate stones to Kg.
I think it was 12 months ago, might have been the year before. I'm about 6' tall. I still use that, although I use the metric system for everything else.
And kg for weight! 😂
Anyway, they measured my height, and according to them I was 5' 10"

So next time I went in a few weeks later, I asked another nurse, and guess what? 6'.

Told "It doesn't matter". Well maybe not, but I like it to be right.

Bridges' height apparently can be signposted in both or imperial but not metric alone.
I never, never, ever do that.
At least not more than three or four times a day.
TBH, I'm usually on my own working, so I often just use the most convenient size.

36" is more convenient than 914.4 mm.

I find it a lot easier to design furniture in feet and inches. After all "Man is the measure of all things", so designing in in terms of "feet", makes perfect sense, as should "spans" and "hands". It more directly links the objects to us.
I also find it a lot easier to work out, and play around with proportions, based on the old imperial system.

Last edited:
I confess that I am only just coming round to metric length measurements. Drill sizes I always think in mm, but still find myself thinking "200mm, that's about 8 inches".
A friend of mine works at a local fabricators, and has made all sorts of stuff for me.
He is only about ten years younger but has no idea at all about imperial, just young enough to have never used it.
I find myself doing stuff in imperial in my head, then having to convert it to metric. Just can't think in metric for the life of me :)

Back