SOLDERING SILVER TO BRASS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to solder a Sterling Silver collar around a brass tube. And was wondering if I would run into any problems. The general advice seems to be, not to get it too hot. Any further pointers would be greatly appreciated.

As a follow on from this, is it possible to silver-solder. nickel silver? There seems to be conflicting advice as to its difficulty. I have some ferrules to make out of 1mm nickel silver sheet and was wondering what the best approach to jointing them was.

Have you looked up the melting points of all the materials you are interested in ?
You can melt brass with a map gas torch so there definitely the potential for problems.
My chums and I have silver soldered brass parts together but not sterling silver.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'm in "suck it and see" territory here. This will be alright with the nickel silver, but I'm a bit reluctant to experiment with the sterling silver on account of the cost, if I burger it up. :)

Silver and brass have very similar melting points, around 950. Nickel Silver doesn't actually contain any silver, it is mainly Nickel, much higher melting point at 1400+. I regularly work with all three and for joining parts regular electrical solder works perfectly. Plumbers flux also works well, in tiny amounts and with the very important caveat that you need to be able to wash off the flux residue immediately afterwards.

A gas torch is generally much better than an iron. I use one of the little ones intended for cooking. they are less than £10 and run on gas lighter fuel. Adjustable flame so you can get it very fine.
The trick is to get the relevant area up to temperature as quickly as possible, with minimal spread of the heat outside the area actually involved. So get your parts together and fluxed and place small slivers of solder on the area you want to join. Then apply the flame until the solder melts and runs into the joint. Don't be afraid of the heat. Generally a very hot flame applied for a few seconds is better than a low one for much longer. Bear in mind the solder will go wherever the flux does, so apply that sparingly. The plumbers flux is water soluble, so you can make it slightly thinner and apply with a small brush, or the tip of a needle for very small parts.
Generally you want to have the solder in place before you heat the parts up. Applying it from the end of the coil is fine for plumbing or electrical work, but results in a lot of work to remove the excess of you are doing jewellery or watch/clockmaking, where appearance is important and you don't generally want to see the solder.

Worth having a selection of solder. For soldering round parts it can be very good to use very fine solder wire to make a hoop that will drop neatly on where it is needed. For really tiny stuff you will find if you cut a tiny sliver of the end of a flux cored solder, you end up with effectively a tiny washer of solder with a hole in the middle, can be very useful.

Last edited:
Agree with advice above but would add -
Cleanliness is paramount to getting solder to flow nicely, scrupulous cleaning to ensure there is no greasy residue or contaminants and lightly abraded - e.g. 320-grit wet-n-dry will help with bond strength if that is important.
Fine gauge flux cored solder may be a better choice if strength is not an issue and that used in electronics can be obtained readily on ebay and similar in small quantities. You likely will require additional flux applied as Fergie suggests to aid tinning the 2 parts.
Depending upon your application you possibly have 2 approaches -
1. assemble the 2 parts and apply flux, then heat and apply the solder

or
2. Pre-tin each part individually and then whilst cool offer the parts together and re-heat until the solder re-melts and capillary will draw the pieces together.

A modified version of the latter method is what is used in most of todays electronics fabrication - Ball Grid Array (BGA) chips found in mobile phones, PC's etc all are soldered this way as are most surface mount components. This allows some tolerance of the automated machinery that places the component onto the board as once the previously applied solder paste is heated and the solder becomes liquid capillary alone will cause the component to physically align itself to the PCB copper pads.
This technique was developed by IBM back in the day whilst they were building the navigation systems used in the Saturn guidance systems being developed for NASA

If you need a small amount of fine solder PM me as I have a 150g reel of 0.8mm lead tin flux cored solder and could send you a foot or so FOC.

If you decide that electrical solder wil be useful to you in the longer run, watch out for the Warton label on ebay. I see part rolls of varied thicknesses listed for sale quite reqularly. Warton Metals are a reputable brand.
A 37/63 eutectic solder is lovely to work with as it changes swiftly from solid to liquid as the joint is heated.

Certainly agree with Imageel that absolute cleanliness is vital.
And method 2 is exactly how I would approach some tasks particularly joining parts with larger mating surfaces, hinges on a box or watch case come to mind.
If you haven't done any soldering before then best advice is to practice on some bits of sheet, tube etc. A nice shiny ceramic plate or saucer can be very handy for setting up items to be soldered, it will not be bothered by the heat and the solder won't stick to it.
You will soon get the hang of it, and find the technique that best suits what you want to do.
Enjoy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back