Smoothing of jointed edges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have made this board out of redwood for the panels to my sons secret cabinet/den. This is a facing edge so i wanted it nice and smooth; I actually preferred using my block plane with the mouth set very fine and a polished sole and iron
17274726837242647323866911548960.jpg
I felt it gave superior results than my no 4 which admittedly isn't a polished sole and iron yet
20240927_223750.jpg
Is this how important setting up planes is or am I a justified fan of the block plane edit: or inconsistent technique with heavier planes
Many thanks.

Thanks

Last edited:
That looks like a bigger plane than a 4. A no6/7/8 maybe. Anyway that's the plane to use for many reasons. But what happens at the cutter is dependant on setting up and sharpness. Remember once it's set up your good forever. And polish of the sole is largely cosmetic. It needs to be flat at the front of the sole just in front of the cutter and at the back everything else is a bonus. These days I prefer to use scraping and micrometer blue on a granite block. I think sanding whilst fine tends to round and distort.

Back