*Small* electric screwdriver?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one from Lidl, useful for electrical work but that’s it because they don’t have much torque. I’ll try and find the link

I bought a Bosch GO, 2nd version at the toolfair show for about £55.
I noticed later that a version 3 has been released in Asia but not common in uk yet, for £70+.
The 3rd version adds an LED which is a good improvement but not worth £20 extra.

Anyway, they aren't bad. They can be made to run by pressing the button or pushing the bit firmly into the screw head. There's a little springy end float to the spindle and power comes on when you push it in firmly. It has torque settings but just easing your grip will let it twist in the hand and push back from the screw which stops it.

Speed isn't too fast, but much quicker than you can turn a screwdriver.
I find it much better than the old bosch ixo, which was similar but in a different shape.
It has more torque than I remember the ixo having. Enough to be useful.

Since buying, I almost never reach for it for woodscrews. It is really a tool for smaller machine screws on electric appliances or electrical faceplates. These have a lot of thread but don't need lots of torque. It is great for jobs with torx and hex head capscrews. Those fly in and out.

If I was putting in new smaller woodscrews, I'd probably use one of those milwaukee drill bits with a hex shank to make pilot holes. 2, 2.5 or 3mm would easily work in the "GO" and would make putting woodscrews in easy. The slim form factor is nice.

It's in my toolbag but I don't use this a lot. The chunky little bosch 12v drill driver has become my goto since buying that and I've all the other screwdrivers I need. When I finish rebuilding my workbench, the GO is going to be left on it with a #2 pozi bit and then I imagine I'll use it a lot more for sheer convenience.

It might be super handy to drive a hex shank countersink.
Pilot drilling not so much as the bits are only held by magnet and hex shank drills tend to come out of the tool as you pull the drill from the hole.

Last edited:
I picked up two of these and two sets of bits from Lydl or Aldi a long time ago gave one pair away to a friend and both are still going strong.

IMG_20240627_1019173.jpg

How do you rate the Rotacraft? it looks like it would be very comfortable in use, fits the cup of the hand? What's it like for normal screwing type operations? The LED is a definite bonus which the Bosch Go lacks.
I think it's great, for my hand size (no. 10/11 gloves) it fits perfectly. I use it as mentioned mainly for chuck jaw screws but any machine screw so far has worked perfectly and quickly. I don't think I would ever reach for it for woodscrews as noted by Spectric above. It won't start on it's own like the Bosch, and it does not have adjustable torque/speed but I haven't found it needs it for my purposes.

Thanks for the feedback (y)
It won't start on it's own like the Bosch
Judging by the comments on Amazon, that might not be a bad thing, though of course a lot of those comments may be from your average Joe, rather than from Artisans like wot we are :ROFLMAO:

Google 'Ikea Fixa electric screwdriver ' £14.99 free deliverythrough Amazon, turns at a sensible speed and allowed me to make extra holes inside a fitted cupboard for an extra shelf.

Since then used dozens of little jobs!

I have had a Bosch IXO since 2016 when I researched the same question and though I have Makita LXT Impact and Combi drivers, the IXO has by far been the most used power tool simply because it’s so handy and rechargeable by usb.
They used to come up on sale a lot (I think I paid £20, but that was 2016)
But it’s still going strong and has been great.

This has to be worth a punt, on sale from this Sunday (30th June 24) £14.99 with the Lidl Plus App, but check out the attachments, those all (for a change) look very handy Parkside 4V Cordless Multitool

With 4 exchangeable attachments for flexible use:
  1. Torque attachment with adjustable output torque - ideal for small screws and delicate materials
  2. Offset attachment for use close to edges
  3. Angled attachment for hard-to-reach places
  4. Cutting attachment for soft materials such as cardboard, textiles, leather or other flexible materials

I once bought a cheap one in the US many years ago - waste of time - no power. Then I bought Bosch which is still giving me good service. Both were small pistol type that fitted nicely in your hand

Latest posts

Back