Scratching my head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamW

Reaction score
A client has asked me to retro fit a single (continuous) skirting to run up some stairs (timber treads & risers fixed onto concrete - 15 steps, approx 5 linear meters of skirting). I enclose a 1st photo that she has sent me of the "desired look" she wants. I also enclose a 2nd photo of her existing stairs.

Two questions/problems present themselves hence me scratching my head and unsure if this is possible:

(1) It seems her "desired look" photo has either the treads and/or risers inserted into the stringer (hence the perfectly sealed gap) or the treads risers were fitted after the stringer (perhaps also joints sealed & painted after fitting) either way I can't see how achieving this perfect fit will be possible with a retro fitted "faux" stringer?

(2) If I take on the job it seems the only way to approach it would be to cut a full size template in a cheap material (OSB or similar chipboard) and do multiple test fitting/trimming on site, take back to the workshop & cut the hard wood final version based on this template? Does anyone have better ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions which would be greatly appreciated?!

Sam

Attachments

• Current stairs 1.jpg
    Current stairs 1.jpg
    76.8 KB
  • Desired look.jpg
    Desired look.jpg
    31.9 KB
I think your client needs to understand a bit more about staircase stringers and skirting boards!
I also think it's a job you should politely turn down.

The example photo is painted white. If this is what the customer wants I would have thought a reasonable template of the stairs followed by a careful mask and caulking would produce an acceptable result.?

Quicker, Easier, and cheaper to make or adapt a new flight.
If you planted new treads and risers between retro cut out strings, there's still the problem with the top and bottom tread being out by the treads thickness.
Unless, of course you keep chasing the problem and lay new floors!
Regards Rodders

A few years ago I second fixed some old houses that were being refurbished, and as part of the refurb the walls were dot and dabbed with insulated boards burying the wall string. Getting them to look how you would like them to is much easier then you think. The ones I did were done in 300mm strips of 18mm mdf but the method is the same whatever material you choose.
I didn't scribe around the nosing on each tread, instead I cut a notch out of the nosing so basically you are only cutting a series of steps out of your 'skirting'. Lay your skirting up the run of the stairs and mark off each rise and tread.
Hope this gives you some idea, regards, Neil.

Hi All

Thanks for the tips, especially James for that link, my instinct of a template wasn't so far off. I think my strategy will be to do my usual time/materials estimate then add an extra 30% tie on the labour side given how fiddly the job risks being. If the client accepts I'll post a an update with pics.

Cheers

Sam

Latest posts

Back