Royal Navy Bone Saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice, but odd saw was mine the other day.

DSCN4263.JPG

A lot of rust.

DSCN4264.JPG

It would not even cut Naval Shag.

DSCF0009 (5).JPG

Handle was removed, cleaned up and finished in Clear French polish.

DSCF0008 (5).JPG

The metal was cleaned up with a wire cup brush on a 4 1/2" grinder.

DSCF0001.JPG

Nice, but odd saw was mine the other day.

View attachment 189572

A lot of rust.

View attachment 189573

It would not even cut Naval Shag.

View attachment 189574

Handle was removed, cleaned up and finished in Clear French polish.

View attachment 189575

The metal was cleaned up with a wire cup brush on a 4 1/2" grinder.

View attachment 189576
Snap ! ... I have the same saw that I inherited from my old neighbour. I don't know about it being a "bone saw". Mine I understand to be a junior hacksaw of its day, which I understand to be around about 1900,
The Studley Cabinet has a slightly different one though just as flamboyant in it's design. The only downside to mine is that modern hacksaw blades are difficult to tighten in it as they are fractionally too large

I was about to agree it was a hacksaw but after a search I found surgical saws in all kinds of forms. A lot were frame saws and some like tenon saws. I dare say back in the day some would just have been carpenters or butchers saws roped in for medical service when required.
Antique French military surgical saw – Chez Pluie
Regards
John
it is an RN Bone saw.
The WD stamp. broad arrow and number confirms that it was.

I dare say back in the day some would just have been carpenters or butchers saws roped in for medical service when required.
Antique French military surgical saw – Chez Pluie
Regards
John

Maybe a butchers saw could be utilized, and possibly even the design for surgical saws originated from butchers saws, but like all saws it's down to the tooth type and size.

Far as I can see, at least by modern standards, butchers saws on the blade side bear little to no resemblance to surgical saws, mainly down to the tooth size with surgical saws having smaller teeth.

The point there would be down to bone density. Living bones, the type you would see in humans will be softer, and a straight comparison would be that lamb and pig bone saws have smaller teeth as the bone density is less than that of bovine.

You'll possibly struggle to get a blade to fit that so might I suggest(not knowing its length) that you possibly look towards butchers suppliers for some sort of blade that will look in keeping with the kind of saw it is. Butcher saw blades come with pins fitted in the ends, so you might be required to cut one down and drill a small hole to fit a replacement pin.

But well done on the clean up Be nice if you could sell it on for a pretty penny.

Back