Routing for an Inset induction hob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks for the advice Tim. I was advised by Homebase staff that installing Minervaxworktops was "certainly not a DIY job"! I've arranged for Minerva to machine the undermount sink recess and drainage grooves, so that really only leaves four cuts and two joints to be made. Is that beyond the ability of a competent DIYer I your opinion?

With a good quality router & router cutter, an accurate straight edge to act as a guide for your router, good dust extraction wherever possible, a decent quality random orbital sander with the correct abrasives & pads, and a firm & steady grip on your router, you should be fine.👍

Make sure you meticulously abrade & clean both faces of any glue joint before applying any adhesive and ensure you have all your clamps ready once you apply the adhesive......At this time of year, the adhesive sets quickly and the working time for any adjustments is very short...!

What method were you planning on using to pull the joints together...?
Vacuum clamps are the best option but are expensive for a one- off project.
MDF blocks hot melt glued to the surface either side of the joint will work in a similar manner as I described in my previous post, then clamps applied to snug the joints up tight......Abrade the surface, clean off any dust with DNA, allow to completely dry, glue the blocks, apply the 2 pack adhesive and clamps.....

Last edited:
With a good quality router & router cutter, an accurate straight edge to act as a guide for your router, good dust extraction wherever possible, a decent quality random orbital sander with the correct abrasives & pads, and a firm & steady grip on your router, you should be fine.👍

Make sure you meticulously abrade & clean both faces of any glue joint before applying any adhesive and ensure you have all your clamps ready once you apply the adhesive......At this time of year, the adhesive sets quickly and the working time for any adjustments is very short...!

What method were you planning on using to pull the joints together...?
Vacuum clamps are the best option but are expensive for a one- off project.
MDF blocks hot melt glued to the surface either side of the joint will work in a similar manner as I described in my previous post, then clamps applied to snug the joints up tight......Abrade the surface, clean off any dust with DNA, allow to completely dry, glue the blocks, apply the 2 pack adhesive and clamps.....
Many thanks for the information provided. I've got good quality kit, as you listed, having installed numerous kitchens over the years. Was intending using the Minerva kit with mdf blocks and clamps. Minerva say the worktops should be fixed using a low modulus silicon. How can this be applied when the worksurfaces have been jointed and are in position, considering how heavy the worktops are and the inherent weakness of the joint. My kitchen is a basic U shape.
Finally ( hopefully) how fragile is the worktop when handling after cut outs have been made?
Thanks again for your time.

Due to the description of your kitchen layout and the weight of your worktops, just apply a couple of beads of silicone around the front & rear rails up inside the base units, it will be fine.

Solid Surface does have a degree of flexibility, but I would suggest you carry/ move any worktop vertically with any cut out in it....avoid carrying it flat until you get it laying flat on the top of the cabinets....👍

Latest posts

Back