Router shock/tingling from body

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a question about a router if anyone could advise please.

It's an old elu 177 1/2" type 4, not sure on date possibly 90's? After using it for a few minutes it gives a slight tinging from the lower metal part of the body where the handles are and depth lock lever.

It's a 220v tool but its like a 20-30v shock, didn't hurt but definitely uncomfortable. I checked with a multi meter for continuity and resistance between plug live and neutral, both said open circuit. I made sure to stick the probes through the paint on the metal.

It's double insulated, has the 2 squares symbol and plastic body but how could there be a fault down there, I don't think there's any wiring down that far it's all up at the top.

Any help appreciated, Thanks!

Is it possible that it is static electricity?
I was wondering that, I blew out a good bit of dust with compressed air afterwards and I was using a ⌀75mm bit at the time which might do something for static but not sure.

I have the same machine and find when using it in a Woodrat it does the same as yours, I put that down to static, presumably created from the air movement through the router.

Make sure to use it on a socket protected by an RCD in your consumer unit, or one of the plug types.
I suspect it is some form of static, but just to be safe.
I get a similar buzz of the tin box of my household storage batteries despite it being firmly grounded through a big fat earth wire to the main earth terminal only a few feet away.

You could go some way to affirming or denying the static theory by grounding (earthing) the metal body temporarily by connecting a wire between it and some other known ground point in your workshop. If the tingle goes away, that is it.

I do not know them, but maybe there are some methods or procedures you can adopt to prevent or reduce ststic build up.

I had this exact problem years ago when cutting a series of long 1/2" housings in MDF to make CD racks using an Elu 1/4" router and a spiral clear plastic tube to extract the dust. Enough tingle to make it uncomfortable and on one occasion a little lightning storm in the clear plastic adaptor!

After seeking advice , and learning that static electricity travels over the outside of a body (think St Elmo's Fire) I solved it by bolting a 1" wide copper 'bracelet ' around the plastic pipe and connecting it to the earth pin of a 3 pin plug with a single strand from a length of 30amp 3 core flexible cable and plugging it in to the same multi-socket board as the router.

Thanks everyone, I have an RCD in consumer unit. I will try the ground wire test and see how it goes, Thanks!

Do you feel the tingle when the router is plugged in but not running?
If you have it plugged in can you measure any voltage between the metal parts and a ground point? If so parts of the insulation are breaking down under voltage stress.
Get it PAT tested.

Yes there is an assumption that it is just static but as @MorrisWoodman12 has said a PAT test would help. This would ensure you have a good protective earth but better still would be to use an insulation tester to check the windings.

It happens after a few minutes of use. If I put it down, plug it out and come back later there is no shock whether plugged in or not, running or not. I tested it plugged in, I get 20v from body to ground.

Last edited:
It happens after a few minutes of use. If I put it down, plug it out and come back later there is no shock whether plugged in or not, running or not. I tested it plugged in, I get 20v from body to ground.
Sounds to me as though the neutral and earth are swapped in the plug. That would mean that it would still work but the return load current would run back through the earth connection and if so why isn't the rcd tripping?
Agree with @Spectric you must get it checked for your own safety.

My old Elu MOF router tingles when Im using it, keep meaning to get it PAT tested, however on my new electric bike with Bosch electrics Ive noticed the battery buzzing away when its chargeing,,and to top it all my wife buzzes,,,we found years ago that if she has her side of the electric blanket on I can feel her buzzing, she cannot feel herself but if she lightly touches the wall she can feel it buzzing, I spoke with the electric supply company and they said its quite common and its the cycles(Hertz) we are feeling,
Steve.

Latest posts

Back