Reproducing an old bow window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great write up thanks, I'm about to rebuild a sash dormer window, and I'd always planed a rod for the sills but I'm going to steal the idea of the ply sections. The 'epoxyfied' sill is an interesting idea. You've also made me much more comfortable over my choice of redwood for the window.

F.

The epoxy is American smiths clear penetrating epoxy sealer. (Cpes).
Available in the UK of course. It's thin and does indeed sink in nicely even on new wood. Sash case parts are all sizes so decide on the sash thickness(40/45mm for single glazed/vac glazed) and work everything back bearing in mind the sizes of commercial staff/parting beads. I always find traditional sash joinery complicated and confusing and I don't make enough to make it automatic hence I've got one made up to refer to. It's much easier to add the meeting rail after(hence sensible to choose thicker parting beads)

The ply sections are basically the map to the window. As the sections end up exactly the same(as there a template on the spindle and a rod on the bench. Also the critical sizes were marked on the full sheet of mdf that's my bench so I've also got square references.

Latest posts

Back