Repairing 250 year old pine window frame with what wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markcs

Reaction score
Hi,

I am repairing a 250 year old pine window frame, the bottom of which has finally succumbed to rot. I am wondering what wood to use. Is it critical to use wood as similar as possible for splicing into the good old pine section of the frame? Do I use modern yellow pine (I have an excellent supplier of dry, straight grained pine), if well painted will it stand up to external window use? Or should I be using a more another more resilient softwood wood such as Accoya. I have a local supplier of really nice Utile, I know it is a hardwood, but would it be suitable for splicing and jointing onto very old pine. I have used Utile before and found it to work really nicely, albeit for a different type of job.

I also have to replace the bottom rotten window sill which is a very big section (around 150 x 60mm) and is 250 year old English oak. I have not had much luck with English oak, splitting etc and tiny cracks all over after a few years. I can get hold of American white oak locally but again wondered if Utile would act as an excellent substitute as it is nice to work and stable.

All and any advice hugely appreciated.

Mark

Splicing different species is not a problem, but sanding will sand away the softer wood first so you might have trouble making the joint invisible, even under paint. I think I'd go for yellow pine, but I'd check first that it's as rot-resistant when painted as your current windows.

I don't know enough to advise on the window sill. but if oak lasted 250 years that's a hint that American oak wouldn't be too bad a choice!

Pine can last 250 years as you have discovered a.k.a. redwood. Swedish "unsorted" is favourite.
Don't know about yellow pine for joinery but i suspect not.
Oak can be disappointing as it doesn't take paint too well, and sills especially can get waterlogged. In fact in the past I've taken perfectly OK redwood sash linings and stiles away from thoroughly rotten oak sills.

I’d avoid oak for sills unless you’re happy painting and filling them regularly - utile etc will give something durable and easier to maintain.
For the frames as above treated redwood would work well and less likely to telegraph its presence as a repair in future years

Back