Removing chipboard flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
We have just taken down a conservatory and I intend replacing it with a timber deck. However first I have to remove the old chipboard floor which was nailed to softwood joists with annular ring nails. I've tried extracting the nails with not much success because they've partly rusted! Any ideas for an easier way of removal please?

Regards Keith

What about a plug cutter. Then, if you need to use a multi tool type tool to slice though the nails flush with the joists?

Thanks Guys for all the ideas.

Marcros I did wonder about a plug cutter, just haven't got one in my toolkit, maybe a good excuse to invest :lol:

Phil.p - I'll give that a go first.

Kev.m - I've tried using my wrecking bar but it just ain't big enough :oops: This is one situation where size matters so I'll get a bigger one. I've got to get some big rhododendron bushes out so think I may get a big crowbar or the roughneck set suggested by busy builder.

Regards Keith

You could try an angle grinder ,its very quick and if you are decking over it the odd slip or two wont hurt things and wont show.

Sorry should have read the post properly :oops: , the angle grinder works well on just the nails so you would have to rive the boards of first any way (hammer) .

This is what I use to remove the nails from chipboard flooring. Cheap as well....!!!!!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pry-bar-203mm/37748

Place the "Claw" end next to the nail head, and hit it with a hammer at a 45 degree angle into the chipboard. As the claw gets under the nail head, just lever up and it will pull the nail out. I've had to do it dozens of times when replacing chipboard floors with plywood prior to tiling.

Tim.

Got going again today with a drift punch and a heavy hammer. Then used a circular saw to reduce the size of the panels and they came up easily even with my small wrecking bar. Will still get a bigger bar so I no longer feel inadequate.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Regards Keith

+1 for Gorilla-style pry bars (hint: get a PAIR!).

If you want to do it tidily, try a holesaw - easier than a plug cutter and a cheap replacement if you nick a nail:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/Holesaws/d80/sd1530
and
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...ghneck+Utility+Bar+15+388mm/d10/sd3192/p52281
Not expensive.

Note: to start the hole, don't attempt to use the pilot drill on the floor. Get a scrap of thick ply or pine and make a through hole in the middle with the holesaw. Tack it down with the hole centred over the nail you want to remove (leave the nail heads proud and easily accessible). As soon as you've started the hole you can remove the guide.

If close to the edge of the floor (where they're probably the biggest nuisance), make the same template, and cut a piece off it, slicing through a small part of the hole - if there's a "C" shape to guide it, the saw shouldn't skip around.

E.

Latest posts

Back