Radius acoustic guitar sides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle_K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A questions for the luthiers amoung us here. I am building an acoustic guitar and I do not have a radius dish for the side assembly. I wondered if anyone knows of a way I could radius the sides without a dish.

Thank you all

Regards

Michelle

I plane and sand a curve from neck block to tail block, and then glue in arched back braces. The back will bend down nicely over these to give a dome (of sorts). Note that you need a recurve at the end of the braces, as on a violin or mandolin, to get a neat joint where braces, side and back meet (unless you're binding the back).

Any help? A board with sandpaper glued to it, used held horizontal, gets the sides even with each other.

Attachments

• 20230819_142918.jpg
    20230819_142918.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
On my first guitar, from memory, I used a radiused sanding stick with sandpaper attached - about 40-50 mm wide that spans the width of the guitar - I think that was an idea from the Kinkade book - I'll have to check. Worked OK although the radiused dishes are better.

Last edited:
Back