• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

PU adhesive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used this and I'm pleased with the results but I don't know how to stop it from going hard once opened. It's normally only the surface in the bottle, the glue beneath stays liquid and useable for months but any advice out there to stop the surface going hard would be appreciated.

That is a great price, it's over £20 in Toolstation!

I've used this and I'm pleased with the results but I don't know how to stop it from going hard once opened. It's normally only the surface in the bottle, the glue beneath stays liquid and useable for months but any advice out there to stop the surface going hard would be appreciated.

I buy PU glue in the sealant tube style these days, it is more expensive but I think worth it as it's much easier to deal with and not as messy.

I always avoided the tubes as after using the normal stuff I presumed there would be problems with it setting in the end of the nozzle but no, you just screw the cap on when you've finished and it's ready to use again when you take the cap off.

everbuild-lumberjack-5-min-wood-adhesive-310ml-5min3-1200x1200.jpg

The first time I used PU it was the cartridge stuff. I had to put a threshhold between the landing and the bathroom with precious little to fix it to. The main problem was the floors were running very slightly, but in opposite directions. The bathroom flooring had to go under the threshhold on one side but the carpet abutted it on the other side, so a slight gap there didn't matter. I rebated both sides, made a cup of tea, wet everything down, stuck it and stood on it for ten minutes or so. It converted me to PU.

Before I switched to cartridge pu I used to turn it upside down and squeeze a bit of glue into the cap, this goes off so next time you used it, take the lid off and using a screw pick out the cured glue. Easy and less messy than having a skin on the glue.

Back