Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a mess investigating the top floor dormer. We had planned to sell so I was ignoring it, but now we are staying and I’m undecided on a repair and DG the old sashes, or remake the whole thing.

The holes in the lath and plaster were to help understand the construction. It looks like the boxes form a significant amount of the structure and we built in-situ.

I really fancy making the whole thing but am a little worried about the installation, especially as I’d be trying to do it from the inside to avoid scaffolding. Ho hum, what to do.

IMG_4894.jpeg

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

I finished making/cutting this section of a curved plinth to go on the end of a kitchen Island that I made and am in the middle of installing.
The material is 19mm hi gloss pre finished MFMDF and is not available to buy pre curved.

The radius required was just over 1500mm x 120mm high and the material is now nice & flexible.
I made a few trial attempts on some scrap to get the depth of the kerf cuts correct, but I think I could have possibly got away with less cuts and retained more of the material, but it works and will be rigid enough when fitted in its final position.

IMG-20240607-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20240607-WA0002.jpeg

First garden planter done, going to make a matching one and probably a larger trough style one too.
I'd intended to use pocket screws for this but when it came to it I realised I didn't have any, so this one is just screwed and glued.
Used a mix of pallet wood, pine from local diy store.
Painted with Garden Shades paint, which I really like the look off, think it gives it a clean modern look.
PXL_20240625_144121283.jpg

First garden planter done, going to make a matching one and probably a larger trough style one too.
I'd intended to use pocket screws for this but when it came to it I realised I didn't have any, so this one is just screwed and glued.
Painted with Garden Shades paint, which I really like the look off, think it gives it a clean modern look.
View attachment 183424
I think you've probably ended going down a better route than the pocket screws for an outdoors planter. As good as they are in many circumstances, the damp and wood movement wouldn't fair well in my opinion.

Nice practical design also, easier to maintain and re-plant the tree. Mine is a bit of a one use only. If/when I need to replant, I will have to cut it. Next time I build a planter I should think forward how I am going to maintain it.

Nice practical design also, easier to maintain and re-plant the tree. Mine is a bit of a one use only. If/when I need to replant, I will have to cut it. Next time I build a planter I should think forward how I am going to maintain it.
Thanks, maintainability was one of the main considerations for this build as I am notoriously bad when it comes to garden maintenance.

Hello peeps,
Been suffering with covid 😢 and bored outta my tiny mind. So I thought I'd share my biggest turning project to date...
IMG-20240625-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20240625-WA0001.jpg
20240616_173712.jpg

So, as I said I'm bored and apologise in advance for the war and peace below.

To pull things together on the forum. I posted a question about mitre saws (best one with forward facing rails) then found an awesome makita second hand 🥳. Thought I'd test it by making SWMBO a segmented bowl...but she asked if I was up to the challenge of making something BIG (yeah yeah she knows how to pull my strings 🙄) challenge accepted! Planned out to make it in two halves. Used her favourite...oak and some scrap Sapele to add some contrast. Rightly or wrongly I used sacrificial MDF base to mount on the lathe. Turning the outside was OK, but I still find doing the inside of segmented bowls terrifying 😳. Once both halves were done to my absolute amazement (and joy) they fit together quite well. Removed the MDF, refined the shape and added oak base. Then on to the lid. I always find it challenging working out how to mount something that needs turning on both sides. Anyways managed it. Then I asked the forum a question about danish oil and hampshire sheen finish. On the balance of responses decided to stick with the oil only.

Overall happy with the result. Personally I think the finial is too big but SWMBO loves it so who am I to argue.

THANKS AS ALWAYS TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS FOR HELP AND SUPPORT!!

I made a mess investigating the top floor dormer. We had planned to sell so I was ignoring it, but now we are staying and I’m undecided on a repair and DG the old sashes, or remake the whole thing.

The holes in the lath and plaster were to help understand the construction. It looks like the boxes form a significant amount of the structure and we built in-situ.

I really fancy making the whole thing but am a little worried about the installation, especially as I’d be trying to do it from the inside to avoid scaffolding. Ho hum, what to do.

View attachment 182980

View attachment 182979

View attachment 182982

View attachment 182981
How are the repairs going Fitzroy?

How are the repairs going Fitzroy?
Going to remake the whole window. Need to decide if I go with vacuum glazing or double glazing so that I can finalise the design. Fineo glazing costs are excessive at £1700 for 2.3m2 of glazing (incl £660 delivery), so I'm waiting for a figure from LandVac.

Having studied the window it's a real interesting construction that I think must have been half built in-situ. The central window is almost a full box sash however there is no inner lining as the boxes to either side are mitred to it, and the outside lining has been nailed on after the 'box' was in place. The outer two windows have no weights and the outer stiles are from 1 1/2" thick timber, I think to give it some structure.

When I build it I'll post a bit of a WIP as I'm bound to have some questions for the more experienced folk on here.

Fitz.

Latest posts

Back