Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I’ll bite (sorry). What is it?
17264162717383669276577788671091.jpg

Hi all just picked up a dead branch and had a play, the wood is just to far gone unless I can find a way of stabilising it

Attachments

• DDAC4012-0D34-40CE-A764-D151AD65CA65.jpeg
    DDAC4012-0D34-40CE-A764-D151AD65CA65.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • BC626F75-D6DD-4A6B-B58C-45630CEF26C6.jpeg
    BC626F75-D6DD-4A6B-B58C-45630CEF26C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi all just picked up a dead branch and had a play, the wood is just to far gone unless I can find a way of stabilising it
No such thing as too far gone 😉 rough it out to near what you want then saturate the whole thing with CA glue, give it half hour or so to make sure it's penetrated and cured then gentle passes until you've got what you want, if there are any cracks or voids use saw dust to fill and soak with a bit more CA, once you've got it sanded to about 240 or 320 apply abrasive paste and wax. I turned a Sycamore vase from a log that was extremely spongy using this method, it uses up a lot of CA so you have to be sure the piece is worth it.
17265098302545285544846525081863.jpg

Wow thanks, I will try it.
Thank you once again
Edit
CA Is that casamite or pva glue
Super glue, I buy it from poundland, I always go in when I'm in town and puck up whatever they have, a pack of 2 small bottles is only £1, I usually empty the shelf when I go, I will also grab several tubes of 5 minute epoxy while I'm there as it's only £1.25.

Ah I see. Not a big fan of super glue. But epoxy, I used to use letters of that on boat repairs.
I will get some west 2 part epoxy in ... if it’s good enough for salt water boat work/repairs the I can use it on wood work.
Went out to our local (60 plus miles round trip) to stock up on wax, hardwood teak oil ect
Price difference is worth the drive. 2pounds Gbp for 1l of teak oil as to 25 pounds from hardware store
It’s pot luck, you take a chance of there being stock.
Last trip no oil to be had, no prob as has some left, this trip there were 20 cans.... won’t say how many I bought lol

Theres stuff called P.E.G that I think totally penetrates wood, replaces all water in the cells with a resin, which kind of makes it a kind of plastic, but with obviously woody structure

" Use to stabilize green wood to keep it from cracking, splitting and shrinking. Wood treated with Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) is ready for carving, shaping or machining. Polyethylene Glycol is dissolved in water. Wood is treated by submersing into the PEG/ water mix. "

Saw a vid years ago, where a wood turner immersed a piece in a large pot of this stuff, but cant remember if it was heated or if a vacuum was used to draw it into the timber. Im sure its probably a common item amongst turners and they'd be the best to ask.

Super glue, I buy it from poundland, I always go in when I'm in town and puck up whatever they have, a pack of 2 small bottles is only £1, I usually empty the shelf when I go, I will also grab several tubes of 5 minute epoxy while I'm there as it's only £1.25.
How can it be £1.25 in £1 land ?

Yesterday felt like a dogs dinner but still could not resist going in to play with me cherry burl. After reading Stigs and Katomis post about ca and epoxy this one should be right up Katomis street.
After the bowl was left to dry out overnight I soaked in ca glue to all the cracks and a couple of soft areas20240917_113210.jpgnext re-turned the mid size piece that i had glued up with epoxy. The result was a better shape but revealed more cracks so re-glued epoxy again. At the moment it's looking like I might be able to get a lidded bowl out of it.20240917_113449.jpg20240917_113413.jpgnext reshaped the dish and sanded. Guess fatigue was setting in as yhe finish was not that good so will resand at a latter date20240917_113241.jpg20240917_113318.jpg

Latest posts

Back