Petrol Stations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is interesting. I have waterproof sockets on the outside of my workshop for convenience when using mains stuff in the garden.
Over the weekend I was using a cement mixer for most of the day, and I noticed that the plug was pretty warm when removed from the enclosed socket.
As @John Brown says it is the protection in case of an earth failure that matters for ev charging.

If not for that, an IP66 industrial outlet with rcd would be much better than these cheap nasty 3 pin weatherproof outlets. Wire your granny charger into that with no worries about overheating.
gewiss-interlocked-socket-default-title-gewiss-vertical-interlocked-socket-32a-240v-rcd-facili...jpg

https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co...erlocked-socket-32a-240v-rcd-facility-gw66988

As the PEN fault electronics are now designed and will rapidly become commodity, the retail cost of outdoor sockets like this plus an allowance for the electronics suggests to me that the target price for an EV charging socket should be under £200 plus a length of armored cable to it and the installation.

Last edited:
Back