P/T unpacking help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I've recently acquired a new P/T and began to unpack it today. However, I'm unable to think of a safe way that I can get it off the delivery palette by myself. Here is a picture (sorry for the poor quality):
02062009132.jpg

I made the mistake of allowing the delivery man to store it hard against a wall. The P/T weighs 175Kg - does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it off the palette? Also, if anyone has the same item (Record PT300) then how did you prop it up to attach the wheel kit, especially wrt. the rear wheels?

Cheers,
C

Only suggestions - but assuming this is going onto a steel framework with a wheel at each corner - you could try using a long piece of 2x4 as a lever against the wall to bring the p/t off its pallette horizontally onto the wheel frame. The frame will need to be blocked up to the same height and made immovable - I'm imagining bits of scrap wood around it / across to the opposite wall / wedges that can be knocked out afterwards.
Use the full length of the lever to move it a little at a time, and use extra blocks against the wall to keep the leverage efficient.

Hth

Andy

How ever you do it, at all costs resist the temptation to use the tables as handles. If these or more likely their mounts get twisted it is highly likely the P/T will never work properly in jointer mode.

Instead pass a couple of long lengths of 4x2 through the machine and with an assistant lift it in the manner of a sedan chair.

Bob

9fingers":3g5ck563 said:
Instead pass a couple of long lengths of 4x2 through the machine and with an assistant lift it in the manner of a sedan chair.

Or use some jacks

Thanks guys. BTW: I wouldn't dream of lifting the P/T by the bed - that was drummed into me by my D&T teacher over 17 years ago. I doubt the cast iron could take the tensile forces even if I tried.

I should have clarified that the wheel kit is a 'jockey bar' type with two wheels mounted on stub axles at the rear of the stand and the bar/fulcrum wheel at the front - hence sadly no framework AndyT but I like your suggestion about using the back wall for leverage.

Given your input, I think I'm going to use a car jack to lift the back of the unit up to fit the rear axles and wheels and then do the same for the front jockey wheel. I could then make a stacked support in front of the pallet using lots of thin sheets of ply, then with the help of SWIMBO - slide the unit on to the stack using 2x4s under the thicknesser plate as 9fingers suggested. Then slowly disassemble the stack until the unit's wheels are on the floor.

Does that sound crazy?

Thanks again,
C

Once you have the wheels on, it can be run down a 'staircase' of ply sheets each step just less than the clearance provided by the wheels.
Easy!

Bob

I have that exact P/T. When I moved house had all sorts of fun getting it out and into a van. Mine came with 4 hooks that can be bolted where the feet are, I used an engine crane and chains att to these hooks as suggested above.
To get the wheels on would it not be easier to just move it on the pallet until that end just over hangs the edge of the pallet and then affix.

BTW the jockey wheel arrangement isn't that well thought out on this machine so take care when moving it around.

Alex

If it has lifting points and you have open rafters...

Get a length of cord, doen't have to be hugely strong as 175kg isn't that much, put it through one lifting point, over the rafter and tie onto the other one just as tight as you can, insert a length of wood between the two and wind it off the ground, keep a hold of the wood and the machine or you'll either a) spin the machine into a wall or b) knock yourself out in hillarious fashion, then lower it onto your wheel kit, I've done this myself but it is slightly easier with two people. Simples!

Aidan

Hi,

What ever you do film it, you could make £200.

I got my Kity bestcombi of its pallet on my own (no frends) just by lifting and walking it. I should have left it slightly off and attached the wheels.

Pete

I had an early version of that one with the aluminium beds. I moved on my own without assistance but I reckon it must have been a lot lighter then yours though.

What I would do is this:
Tip it a little just enough to get a spacer under a corner.
Use a lever to lift the front further to slide a steel tube roller under the front edge. Place the roller at an angle to the front edge.
Place a board ramp under the front edge and roll the PT until it is just short of tipping.
Place two steel tubes lengthways down the ramp and tip the PT onto the tubes.
Slide the PT down the tubes to the bottom of the ramp.
Use a lever to lift the front edge and slide a tube under it.
Roll the PT off the ramp so it stands on two tubes.
Use the tubes to roll the PT to where you want it steering the tubes as you go by putting a third tube at a angle at the front and removing the one at the back as it rolls.
When you have it in position lever it up and remove the tubes. Use packing if needed and slowly remove the packing until it is on the floor.

I have moved equipment and safes like this with just a long crowbar and 4 bits of gas pipe or steel conduit.

My current surface planer comes in at more then twice this weight and was fork lifted onto my trialer. I got it out and up a step into my workshop with just my Dad making sure I didn't scratch the walls or the door frames.

I used a block and tackle to tranfer from pallet to wheels, I tied it to one of the roof rafters with a rope, they don't cost the earth to hire from your local tool hire co, its better than risking injury.

Its worse now as I have to wheel the damn thing out of the garage every time I want to use it and there is a 1 1/2" step to get over :cry:

Thank you for all your help and advice - the collective wisdom of the forum has resulted in success!

Firstly, I turned the pallet through 90 degrees using a 2x4 with leverage from the back wall:
02062009137-a.jpg

Then I used a car jack to attach to rear wheels:
02062009138-b.jpg

I then made a ramp with a side from the transport crate, some more 2x4 and some OSB off-cuts:
02062009139-c.jpg

I then gave the beast a push:
02062009141-d.jpg

Sadly, the dogs weren't very impressed:
02062009129.jpg

However, I've now got to do this all over again for the T/S. I'll buy a block and tackle as many of you have suggested for that since it is almost 300mm off the floor!

I'm off to make some chippings!

Thanks again,
Chris

Back