One for the domestic sparkies out there

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget lenders and insurers. Lenders often have their own demands and insurers look for any excuse not to pay out. I had some work done and my electrics tested a couple of years ago and the sparkie told me a customer of his had had a really bad flood due to burst pipes in the roof and the insurers wouldn't pay out because his electrical test certificate was out of date (which of course was irrelevant to the flooding).
Perpetuating a popular myth, Someone did not understand the full situation, the contract with your insurers is just that a contract, the insurance company can not refuse to pay out for damage that they took the risk on, the only situation that can preclude a pay out is fraud either on the original application or a false claim, the amount of the claim can be reduced, but only on proof of contributory negligence.

Last edited:
Is an electrical test cert needed in a house you own / mortgage? I thought that was just for landlords.
No, unless your insurance specify that one is required, never seen that in any terms and conditions. And yes landlords are a different matter.

I have in the past appeared as an expert witness for either party and the insurance ombudsman so know a little bit more than a lay person.

AS others have said its now a common tactic for sellers to request purchase and installation and test dates for both the electrical installation & gas boilers.

This information is usually then used by a buyer to negotiate a discount to the purchase price.

i.e. they have offered £295000 but once the electrical condition report is available they will "threaten" to pull out of the sale unless a circa £5000 to £10000 discount is given to cover the likely cost of "required" remedial works to bring the installation up to current standards.

Same with the boiler, if it is an old noncondensing inefficient gas boiler then a discount could be requested to cover its replacement.

AS others have said its now a common tactic for sellers to request purchase and installation and test dates for both the electrical installation & gas boilers.

This information is usually then used by a buyer to negotiate a discount to the purchase price.

i.e. they have offered £295000 but once the electrical condition report is available they will "threaten" to pull out of the sale unless a circa £5000 to £10000 discount is given to cover the likely cost of "required" remedial works to bring the installation up to current standards.

Same with the boiler, if it is an old noncondensing inefficient gas boiler then a discount could be requested to cover its replacement.
In theory those items (and any other refurbishments required) should be reflected in the asking price for the property.

<Ducks to avoid porcine aviator! ;) >

But that has to be reflected in the sale price, this is a safety issue and what if the new owners don't want to renovate immediately but want to live there a while to find there feet, and maybe a couple of kids all living in a potential hazard. We all have the right to live in a secure and safe property so let's hope they get the info they need and make the right decision.
If the prospective buyer needs an electrical installation to be carried out, it is their call. The fact that the installation isn't to current standards does not necessarily mean it's unsafe - It's not a safety issue until a competent person says it is.

If every property owner suddenly decided that they want their electrical intsallations to reflect 'current' standards (no pun intended), we'd quickly realise that there wouldn't be enough electrians and equipment (cable, components etc) in the country to satisfy the demand ...

The fact that the installation isn't to current standards does not necessarily mean it's unsafe - It's not a safety issue until a competent person says it is.
Any electrical installation only has to comply with the regulations and standards at the time of installation, BUT all electrical installations must be safe and pose no risk to people or property. There comes a time when an installation is of such an age that it can no longer be classed as safe and has to be replaced, at that point in time it will be done to current standards.

No installation should now be accepted that does not have RCD protection simply because you don't have to as it was ok once upon a time, that may save you money but not your life. I have seen so much horrendous electrical work over the years that people were just oblivious to but ignorance might be bliss as far as worrying goes but little else. Don't think this is just domestic, my main line was industrial and you would be amazed what happens to just keep things running!

Some additional info for anyone thinking of having a new consumer unit fitted, the 18th regs have made some aspects somewhat more challenging.

Ok we know they have to be made of a non combustable material and entry / exit points sealed but now we have 531.3.2 regarding specific values for maximum protective earth currents which will be a right PITA if you want a split board with two RCD's. This is because your earth leakage current can only be 30% of the rated residual operating current of the RCD during normal operating conditions, ie 9mA on each RCD. The idea is to ensure you distribute the circuits to meet this criteria with an objective of reducing nuisance trips but to do this will mean measuring all the protective earth currents which could still result in not meeting these criteria. Solution to save all the problems is to just fit a 100 amp main switch and RCBO's on each circuit which is fully compliant and a lot less hassle, I dare say being cynical there has been some motive to push the market away from split boards to RCBO's or maybe to increase the sales of precision current clamps.

Latest posts

Back