Old pc update.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d be inclined to give your existing PC a good clean up then decide whether you need to replace it.
Windows is a bit of a hoarder and slowly fills a hard disk with junk files that eventually slow it down and can make it unreliable. Ideally a clean install is required but a good spring clean can improve performance.

I’d be inclined to give your existing PC a good clean up then decide whether you need to replace it.
Windows is a bit of a hoarder and slowly fills a hard disk with junk files that eventually slow it down and can make it unreliable. Ideally a clean install is required but a good spring clean can improve performance.
I did a complete reset recently, but just the same.

I'm doing a dual install of mint but it's on an old HDD. Not wanting to mess with the one I use every day.

I did a complete reset recently, but just the same.

I'm doing a dual install of mint but it's on an old HDD. Not wanting to mess with the one I use every day.

When you say reset, did that include deleting things like outdated drivers and temporary files?

Just be careful installing Linux beside Windows, the grub bootloader will make removing either pretty damned difficult.

The better way would be to install Linux on one hard drive, (SSD preferably) unhook it, then install Windows on another drive altogether, re-attach the 1st drive then boot whichever one you want to use from the bios.

When you say reset, did that include deleting things like outdated drivers and temporary files?
The one that reinstalls windows deletes programs but keeps my files
reset.png

Just be careful installing Linux beside Windows, the grub bootloader will make removing either pretty damned difficult.

That's why I'm using an old HDD :)
The better way would be to install Linux on one hard drive, (SSD preferably) unhook it, then install Windows on another drive altogether, re-attach the 1st drive then boot whichever one you want to use from the bios.
Good idea

Last edited:
I dropped away from the whole M$ scene over 12 years ago; [snip] for me Mac is the way to go. Biggest ouch... is they cost more of course.
So if I understand correctly your preferences changed from M$ to A$$

Sorry to jump in o thread.
Can you just partition your drive in two, then install Windows on one particion and Linux on the other. And have a dual boot option?

I don't think there's much you can do. That MB sees only 4GB of Ram and I don't think you can connect
an SSD to an old IDE port. You might consider re-instaling you OS, as that will work 20 - 30% better, for a while.
Or perhaps some kind of Linux, but even for the friendlier Mint, there is a learning curve.
As folks have already suggested, a better second hand pc is the way to go.

Few weeks ago I picked up a refurbished HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF (I5 6500/16GB RAM) from Ebay for a 78 y/o neighbour, cost £50 (seller was local so picked up, same price delivered) The only thing extra it needed was a Displayport to Hdmi adapter, a fiver from Amazon. Came with a 120GB SSD, installed Win 10, tweaked it to get rid of as much Windows bloat as possible, installed Open-Shell (much more user friendly GUI, an actual menu instead of those wretched Tiles)

Boots in c. 23 seconds, neighbour is delighted.

I have the exact same comp, dual booting Win 10 and Linux-Lite, set up as the vid I linked. simples, works, job done.

I tried to install mint on a dual set up with windows, but it threw up error codes above my pay grade, so I installed it alone.

I could handle it ok but it didn't fix the problem. So assuming it's hardware related I picked up a Dell Optiplex 7040 off the bay for extremely cheap, without a operating system.

I found out something I didn't know when installing win 10 on the dell you don't need a product key, it's already there and an installation disk is all you need.

For the first time ever I made a USB installation stick and found it much faster than a disk.

There were a few drivers missing, so I went to the dell site. They scanned my PC told me all the details of it, what it needed and provided same all for free.
It was a bit time consuming but I eventually got all the critical updates and drivers and now she's running like a dream, so far so good.

There is a graphics card installed, but it's not much different to the intel onboard chip and doesn't have an HDMI out. But I have an adapter.

I don't have need for super duper graphics but if someone could recommend a budget one worth using I might get it.

Remembering this PC is SSF

Latest posts

Back