Old iMac update?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw the pc thread and I think I'm in a similar position. I want to build a website but my browsers are out of date, and I can't update the browsers on account of the OS. Current OS is Yosemite 10.10.5. I downloaded an upgrade (I think it was El Capitan?) but can't find it, let along launch it. Below is a grab of the hardware - can you tell from that if I should be able to upgrade at all? Or is the computer now pretty much obsolete?

Thanks, Chris

iMac.jpg

I’ve got similar issues with my late 2013 iMac maxed out on Catalina 10.15.7.

I cannot load updates anymore to Office 365 and Safari is failing to load a lot of images. I’m forced to use Google Chrome but this has limited life.

The best you can get to seems to be High Sierra 10.13.6. So El Capitan should be OK.

Just put into Google search "imac mid 2011 os compatibility", loads of info.

Last edited:
Be aware that, for whatever reason, one version ...Mavericks IIRC..is no longer available on the Apple website.

I was able to get another years life out of a very old windows laptop by putting mandrake linux on it.
Sadly, trying the same to eke a little more life out on my old macpro laptop was a total fail.

Old apple gear is frankly skip fodder. Someone bought the perspex enclosure of my old mac cube "toaster" to turn it into a fish tank. Apparently this was a "thing"...

I saw the pc thread and I think I'm in a similar position. I want to build a website but my browsers are out of date, and I can't update the browsers on account of the OS. Current OS is Yosemite 10.10.5. I downloaded an upgrade (I think it was El Capitan?) but can't find it, let along launch it. Below is a grab of the hardware - can you tell from that if I should be able to upgrade at all? Or is the computer now pretty much obsolete?

Thanks, Chris

View attachment 187608
What browser are you trying to update that needs an OS update?

What browser are you trying to update that needs an OS update?
I have Chrome, Firefox and Safari and none will update, Paul. Chrome is telling me 'To get future Google Chrome updates, you'll need OS X 10.11 or later.'

Thanks, Chris

View attachment 187608
Your Mac seems to be identical spec to mine, and I'm running Sierra 10.12.6

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-08 at 12.48.51.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-08 at 12.48.51.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
Why only one year?
It got my daughter through her access course to uni when the covid shortage of microchips was making a mess of the choice / price of new machines. We were eventually able to get something better and far lighter without paying the earth for it.

The update dmg should be in the applications folder. It’s called “install xxx” where xxx is the version.
That was the answer I needed - El Capitan installed!

However, it turns out macOS Catalina 10.15 or later is required to install Chrome. Is it possible to install an older version that, tho unsupported, will work better than this one:
Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64)
(I'm assuming that's the one I have, as it appears in the screen that says it's searching for updates.)

Failing that, are there any alternative browsers that'll work with OS 10.11.6?

That was the answer I needed - El Capitan installed!

However, it turns out macOS Catalina 10.15 or later is required to install Chrome. Is it possible to install an older version that, tho unsupported, will work better than this one:
Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64)
(I'm assuming that's the one I have, as it appears in the screen that says it's searching for updates.)

Failing that, are there any alternative browsers that'll work with OS 10.11.6?
If you use the App Store it should offer you the latest supported version.

If you use the App Store it should offer you the latest supported version.
I don't think you can get Chrome on the App store. At least not on my Mac.

Chris152 - you could try Duck Duck Go or Vitality or Brave

For older versions of Chrome try here https://google-chrome.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions

Personally I don't use Chrome as I object to the constant 'calling home' without my authority. I know it can be blocked but Google are sneaky and find ways around it.

I don't think you can get Chrome on the App store. At least not on my Mac.

Chris152 - you could try Duck Duck Go or Vitality or Brave

For older versions of Chrome try here https://google-chrome.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions

Personally I don't use Chrome as I object to the constant 'calling home' without my authority. I know it can be blocked but Google are sneaky and find ways around it.
I couldn't find Chrome there either, but it looks like I can't get it on my OS anyway. I'll definitely have a look at those you suggest, thanks (y)

I couldn't find Chrome there either, but it looks like I can't get it on my OS anyway. I'll definitely have a look at those you suggest, thanks (y)
Did you see the See More button at the bottom....those versions of Chrome go back donkeys.

Did you see the See More button at the bottom....those versions of Chrome go back donkeys.
I tried finding a solution, but the newest OS I can run can't handle the supported browsers. Even with Duck Duck Go, the computer said No! But - buried under piles of nonsense on my desk was a Macbook that belongs to my lad and that he doesn't use any more, I'd completely forgotten it was there. It's about 2015 but working on the latest OS (I think) and I'm now working on the website. Really appreciate your efforts to help.

Back