Newbie seeking advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveT

Reaction score
I served an engineering apprenticeship around 40 years ago which included Fitting and Turning and I am looking to purchase a wood lathe to turn small items up to around 50mm diameter. I have never used a wood lathe before!!!!!

I have seen a new Draper 550W 230V Compact Digital Variable Speed Wood Lathe 60989 at around £270 and would also need a small chuck such as the Nova G3.

Does anyone on the forum have experience of this combination???? I am looking at the 550W Midi rather than the 250W Mini option so I have a little more scope in the future for slightly larger items.

By the time I've 'tooled up' my spend will be around the £500 mark.

Should I be going for a different combination or down a different route to get more for less!!!!!

Thanking you in anticipation.

steve.

Personally I would look out for one of the guys on here selling a complete setup (regularly come up).
I, like most, prefer older machines as they tend to be heavier and better made.
Ebay often has some cracking lathes going very cheaply and often they just need a good clean which I'm sure given your engineering background should be childs play for you.
You find it better to search out your local turning club as they will usually be able to let you have a go on various lathes and give you valuable on the lathe advice. They can also recommend a good lathe to purchase that will fit what you intend to do with it.

I have a union graduate bowl lathe, and a Viceroy for between centres work (play). I find both really solid and they were popular choices for schools for that reason. There is a Viceroy bowl lathe (short bed) on ebay now. These often go for way below their true value. Mine was £300 including an inboard faceplate, rotating tail centre and 5" metalworking chuck. Changing the motor was a bit of a bu@@er though.

K

Edit - not variable speed though unless you have a dual voltage 3 phase motor plus inverter.

Latest posts

Back