Needing Advice Please - Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You often see the DIY type small free standing table saws on the various for sale sites. If complete and in good condition they are OK for relatively small stuff. And can be had for £50 or so.
I have a Rexon one which has served me well for twenty odd years. By no means a professional machine, but does a good job. Usual niggles are more to do with setting it up accurately than anything else.
I bought mine new, I think it was a £99.99 special offer at Screwfix at the time.
I immediately found that, for example, the blade angle adjustment worked quite smoothly but the scale was off. So had to check the angle with a gauge. And the adjustment moves slightly sometimes when you tighten it up to lock it, so you have to check it again. The scale was just a printed sticker, carefully peeled off and glued back on to better reflect the actual position of the blade.
But I can put up with these minor niggles on something that cost £100 new, and much safer than the inverted circular saw idea.

As has been mentioned you need to add a riving knife, crown guard, parallel fence, emergency stop button with on/off, dust extraction etc so pretty time consuming and costly to do it right. As people on here have said it's not really worth thinking about especially if time and your safety are a consideration.

If you need to get on then save time buy a table saw.

You often see the DIY type small free standing table saws on the various for sale sites. If complete and in good condition they are OK for relatively small stuff. And can be had for £50 or so.
I have a Rexon one which has served me well for twenty odd years. By no means a professional machine, but does a good job. Usual niggles are more to do with setting it up accurately than anything else.
I bought mine new, I think it was a £99.99 special offer at Screwfix at the time.
I immediately found that, for example, the blade angle adjustment worked quite smoothly but the scale was off. So had to check the angle with a gauge. And the adjustment moves slightly sometimes when you tighten it up to lock it, so you have to check it again. The scale was just a printed sticker, carefully peeled off and glued back on to better reflect the actual position of the blade.
But I can put up with these minor niggles on something that cost £100 new, and much safer than the inverted circular saw idea.
I’ll take a look and see what’s on offer. Thanks for the advice

As has been mentioned you need to add a riving knife, crown guard, parallel fence, emergency stop button with on/off, dust extraction etc so pretty time consuming and costly to do it right. As people on here have said it's not really worth thinking about especially if time and your safety are a consideration.

If you need to get on then save time buy a table saw.
Agreed, I think buying one will be the best option

If you're going to use a table saw, and haven't, then you could do worse than follow the advice laid out here for a start.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis16.pdf
Understand the rejection forces, and the reason for them. It's not all about the obvious dangers.
Preferably get yourself on a course.
Thanks for this information, I’ll have a read through it. I have been toying with the idea of going back to college to do carpentry, but mostly to learn how to use some of the electric tools. Im old school so hand tools which have been used over the last 1000 plus years lol

Latest posts

Back