New House, New Workshop Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under Floor Heating using an air source heat pump.
Duh, mind wasn't working well last night , I have also installed UFH in homes but used a natural gas, on demand boiler for the heat source. Will the heat pump deliver good constant temps when needed?

Last edited:
Duh, mind wasn't working well last night , I have also installed UFH in homes but used a natural gas, on demand boiler for the heat source. Will the heat pump deliver good constant temps when needed?
I understand that it will. The workshop is a complete new build and is designed to exceed house standards for insulation. So, the system should run at under 50C well within an air source heat pumps abilities. The big question will be how much it costs to run.
I have installed UFH through my house as part of the renovation, this is heated by a gas boiler. However, it’s designed and installed to run off two 17KW heat pumps if and when I swap it / forced to use electric heating. The workshop is a test bed.
The workshop is a complete extravaganza, but it’s also designed such that it can be converted into a house or indeed any form of living / work environment. So hopefully my kids will get the money back when my executers come to sell it😜👻

I understand that it will. The workshop is a complete new build and is designed to exceed house standards for insulation. So, the system should run at under 50C well within an air source heat pumps abilities. The big question will be how much it costs to run.
I have installed UFH through my house as part of the renovation, this is heated by a gas boiler. However, it’s designed and installed to run off two 17KW heat pumps if and when I swap it / forced to use electric heating. The workshop is a test bed.
The workshop is a complete extravaganza, but it’s also designed such that it can be converted into a house or indeed any form of living / work environment. So hopefully my kids will get the money back when my executers come to sell it😜👻
It is definitely more than a shop!

I will have to check the specs of it but we have an air source pool heater. Very good and last year cost about an extra 30-40 quid overall on the bill for the four months we had it going. That's heating a 48 cubic metre pool to 28°. Not equivalent to running a domestic heating system obviously, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Bonus for the pool heater is when it gets really hot you can sit in front of the fan and have your own outside Aircon :)

Last edited:
Late to this, I have two electric insulated roller shutter garage doors made by 'Alluguard'. ( tel:01524772400) They are aluminium hollow section filled with rigid foam, run in deep channels and roll up into a 13" square space. They are very rigid and have a hand winding facility in the event of power failures. The lower edge has a safety touch stop feature which proved itself when my wife inadvertently lowered one door onto a box. They're remarkably draught proof and the bottom seal, closing onto smooth concrete copes with driving rain.
Not the cheapest option but given the probable expense of your project, worth considering.

I hope this is of interest.

@Chubber Thanks the recommendation and contact details. It’s ’too late’ for me, I went down the BiFold route and have filled the three doorways with BiFolds which were unbelievable the cheapest option compared the insulated garage doors.

This is the stuff of my lottery winning dreams and definitely nicer than my house !!

Do you think you have enough lights ?:D

I seem to take two steps forward, and four steps backward. The building inspector has been and noticed that the wrong sized pad stones have been used😩…..soooo they have to be removed and and replaced. This involves supporting the roof, digging them out and cementing larger ones in. This is scheduled for the end of next week. The resin floor was due to go down on Monday, which has had to be postponed.

I have a crack in the we block work under one of the pad stones
IMG_4072.jpeg

The workshop had now had its render coat on, so looks a lot nicer and now blends in with the house. I’ve also now got the base coat of tarmac down. I’ve spaced the driveway to take 30 tonne vehicles. So it has hardcore then AC 70mm of base coat tarmac and eventually 40mm SMA top coat
IMG_4045.jpeg

Last edited:
The under floor heating is now commissioned, a little bit if tidying up to do, but I’m super happy with it.

The system is by Grant, the outside unit is very quiet.
IMG_4027.jpeg

Inside it’s very neat and small.
IMG_4026.jpeg

I’ve been increasing the water flow temp by 2C every day up to 45C to stress the floor. Any cracks that appear will be dealt with before the resin goes down.

The large manifold is because I have structured it so it can be made into living accommodation at some stage in the future.

Last edited:
The building inspector has been and noticed that the wrong sized pad stones have been used
So did the architect specify the wrong size on the drawings or did the builder fit the wrong ones so it is not to drawing ? This cannot be your problem or something to be done at your expense.

I think the idea of these concrete padstones that the lintel / beam sits on is to spread or distribute the load into the blocks below over a larger area but it looks like the beams in your case are not sitting dead centre on the padstone and there is a cut block under the padstone which is the same width as the padstone which surely defeats the object of having the padstone in the first place.

Either way it is not your problem to fix and I suspect the builder has cocked up because he must have realised at the time when laying the blocks so should have raised it with the architect and not just carried on. I hope you get a swift resolution and no dents in your bank balance.

That is really good news because something like this just piles on more stress that you don't need when involved with such a project that you could see the end of in sight. If something looks wrong then inevitably it probably is.

Latest posts

Back