Nearly got scammed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
we had an email purporting to be from Asda, inviting us to complete a survey with the chance to win a prize (a Tupperware set). All they wanted was £2 towards postage. We nearly sent it, we put in credit card details etc but we checked before completing the purchase and found several sites warning of this particular scam, so we cancelled the transaction. I called the credit card company and they said that because the transaction was not completed the scammers would not have our credit card details. I asked them to cancel the card with immediate effect anyway.
It's not the loss of £2 that concerned me, but the fact that we nearly gave our credit card number, expiry date and 3 digit security code to this low life scum.
So be careful guys, there's always a new scam just around the corner it seems. At least we don't get time share calls any more!!

K

That £2 would of been just the start , I had a phone call yesterday from a number I didn’t recognise - it was a pre recorded message advising me ghat my Amazon prime membership was going to be auto renewed at £79 or thereabouts and to select option 1 if I wanted to cancel it. The funny thing was I had actually cancelled it that morning..within a few minutes of listening to this message and hanging up I had another call from another unknown number and I simply ignored it . There is always some low life scxx ready to take your money and it makes me so angry..

Facebook is currently riddled with scammers (usually offering ridiculously low prices on stuff, like laptops for $10...)
Ones like that are obvious, but some- less so...
This isn't even on marketplace - these are paid ads... appearing in peoples feeds...

That really hightlights the issue of scamming, I could understand if it was for the chance to win a holiday in Clacton or Skegness but for tupperware !!

Just trust no one and accept that whatever you want in life it will cost you, there are no freebies to be had and when offered the chance to win anything just view them as someone dangling a carrot or a juicy maggot for someone to take the bait.

It’s the new way of mugging people from your front room. There will always be vulnerable, gullible or just plain old honest folk that will fall for these scams- it’s so easy to let your guard down for a minute or two and it’s all over . I’ve been there and I’m in no way stupid or gullible just not quite myself and I wrongly assumed a message I received was in connection with a delivery I was expecting . You just have to be very careful and if it doesn’t seem right then hang up , or don’t complete that really cheap online purchase..

I had a email saying my Evri order was a failed delivery , Click on the link to arrange a re delivery
I had no Evri order , I just deleted the email , Don't click on any links .

I can also concur that my Evri delivery driver is excellent , he try every flat in the block where I live and if he can’t get in via the intercom he will call back later in the day .I can’t fault him in any way ..he will also phone me so I can direct him where to leave it on the odd occasion he still can’t get into the block on his 2nd attempt

Saw an immaculate Sierra Cosworth on Market place the other day for 12 grand.

Sorry for delay just sorting out my refund from Temu not . My wife had a call the other day from some lady trying to sell her life insurance she told the lady she did not need any as she was dead but the caller carried on with her sales pitch showing that a lot of cold caller workers don't listen to what the recipient is saying or don't understand the language

That £2 would of been just the start , I had a phone call yesterday from a number I didn’t recognise - it was a pre recorded message advising me ghat my Amazon prime membership was going to be auto renewed at £79 or thereabouts and to select option 1 if I wanted to cancel it. The funny thing was I had actually cancelled it that morning..within a few minutes of listening to this message and hanging up I had another call from another unknown number and I simply ignored it . There is always some low life scxx ready to take your money and it makes me so angry..

Nothing wrong at all with saying 'scum'. In fact, it's far too mild for them.

Got a call from Microsoft who told me my pc was infected, thankfully they were going to sort it out for me. Hang on a sec I have a weak bladder and need to use the bathroom, would you mind hanging on.. no problem.
then told me to go to pc which needs booting up, explained it was a really old pc that took ages to boot up.. would they mind waiting.. no problem.
went and made a cup of tea.
Back on phone after another 10 mins, I told them I was embarrassed at how long it was taking to boot up.. would they mind ringing back later, .. no problem, what sort of time?
I suggested they should ring back in 15 mins and try to continue with the scam then. They didnt ring back.

Whilst working for my previous company, some scammers had basically copied most of their website listings & images (amongst other brands) at obviously a huge mark down price and set up a fake site that still looked professional over about two days or so - that must have taken some time to prepare.
I was in the office for two days that next week & overheard a lot of the conversations from the customer service team having to explain to people that their order was not placed with them and they had no liability & they needed to contact their card provider. It was tough to listen to and also hard for the people in the office to deal with it and have to break the news to people that they had been scammed.

I'd have at least 20 Stanley power tool combo packs if I replied to the many emails congratulating me on my win.

I had a phone call from someone claiming to be from Virginmedia. I had just enough time to say **** off before putting the phone down. The trouble is some of these scams are getting better and sooner or later many of us are going to get caught.

I’d like to set up an account with our phone provider so that anyone not on our contact list gets charged £50 a minute if they call us. I’m sure they won’t agree but strangely they will collect this kind of fee if we press a button on our phone to a scammer. How does this work? It doesn’t matter whether it’s BT, Virginmedia or Sky etc, they’ll all bill you if you get caught out with one of these scams.

Last edited:
I keep getting e-mails telling me my iCloud storage is full and I need to update, funny I don't use iCloud, also the Microsoft calls, I don't have a PC either, Mac only.

Latest posts

Back