Myford Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought this Lathe complete with loads of equipment and the bench From down in Coventry yesterday. Thanks to Phil Pascoe for putting me on the right path. As a complete novise in wood turning I could have bought a load of rubbish but because of members advise I went into it a bit more and came up with this at £400 I hope I havent made a mistake. Got a piece hard wood between the jaws (picture) now got to learn what to do. Thanks Every body.

Attachments

• DSC_2909.JPG
    DSC_2909.JPG
    3.8 MB
  • DSC_2908.JPG
    DSC_2908.JPG
    3.8 MB

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 21-45-14 (18) Nu-tool wood lathe UK Workshop.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 21-45-14 (18) Nu-tool wood lathe UK Workshop.png
    29.9 KB
  • Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 21-47-09 (18) Nu-tool wood lathe UK Workshop.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 21-47-09 (18) Nu-tool wood lathe UK Workshop.png
    40.5 KB
That looks like a nice lathe that will serve you well beyond your beginner days.
I see you can move the belt between pulleys as well as it having variable speed. That's great. Good choice.

Yes do get the Rowley book with dvd as it includes images and demo's on that lathe. I do have the manuals and brochure. Join the facebook Myford lathes group and search in "Files" to find Myford Mystro lathe user manual small pdf

Yes do get the Rowley book with dvd as it includes images and demo's on that lathe. I do have the manuals and brochure. Join the facebook Myford lathes group and search in "Files" to find Myford Mystro lathe user manual small pdf
Thank You

Can anyone tell me what this is used for and the solid 20mm round bar.

Attachments

• DSC_2910.JPG
    DSC_2910.JPG
    3.9 MB
  • DSC_2911.JPG
    DSC_2911.JPG
    3.5 MB
  • DSC_2912.JPG
    DSC_2912.JPG
    4.3 MB
I've got a Mystro Mk2 as well. The motor died earlier this year so I replaced with a Newton Tesla 2hp 3ph with Mitsubishi VFD. Works really well. The outboard turning option is really useful on larger pieces.

I've got a Mystro Mk2 as well. The motor died earlier this year so I replaced with a Newton Tesla 2hp 3ph with Mitsubishi VFD. Works really well. The outboard turning option is really useful on larger pieces.
Have I paid too much for it ?

Have I paid too much for it ?
I paid £350 for mine but no tooling came with it. The new motor and VFD were about £400. It is a pretty capable lathe though. If I get round to it I might modify the outboard turning rig to be able to do bigger bowls but who knows?

I am just selling my Myford for £400, I haven’t seen one of your style before and I suspect yours is a LOT newer than mine, 1977, so probably a good purchase.

I paid £350 for mine but no tooling came with it. The new motor and VFD were about £400. It is a pretty capable lathe though. If I get round to it I might modify the outboard turning rig to be able to do bigger bowls but who knows?
I believe Myford did a Mk1 and Mk2 Mystro. The early Mk1 ones were a bit less robust and had a flaky banjo (as did the early Mk2s). The later Mk2s with a solid cast banjo (rather than the two legged ones) were better.

I believe Myford did a Mk1 and Mk2 Mystro. The early Mk1 ones were a bit less robust and had a flaky banjo (as did the early Mk2s). The later Mk2s with a solid cast banjo (rather than the two legged ones) were better.
Nottingham built "1"s red finish, later machines had the better banjo. Taiwan Mk 2s were aquamarine fitted out with uk electrics. Production started in 1989 with the mk 2 around 2000.

Nottingham built "1"s red finish, later machines had the better banjo. Taiwan Mk 2s were aquamarine fitted out with uk electrics. Production started in 1989 with the mk 2 around 2000.
Ah, think mine is a later Mk2 in red with solid banjo. Says 1995 on the nameplate.

Back