My local timber merchant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble

Reaction score
I made a trip to my local timber merchant this morning. It's only thirty two miles away but crosses three mountains so takes just over an hour. In the Prius the fuel consumption for the journey averages out at a hundred and twelve miles to the gallon! I can't get there from November to April though; the ice is ten inches deep on the roads and I'm not confident yet driving on ice...

The timber merchant only sells island timber and so the stock varies a lot. Today I got some Japanese Beech to make a much needed coffee table for the house. GBP equivalent about sixty quid. Also bought some Maple (about GBP 30) to make possibly some more small bench/stools. Local culture is to remove shoes when entering house and I see so many people struggling to bend down; it's got to be a handy thing to have...

Beech.JPG
Maple.JPG

So finally my question; should I be storing these flat or is propped upright okay? I'm limited for space...

I think as close to final use atmosphere is best. As much surface exposed as possible over 2 sides. If I was making smaller bits I would just store it upright if I needed the whole to stay flat I'd try and store it flat.
Good sensible prices there. Is Sugi available in hokkaido? It's the only Japanese wood I know ..

Back