Moving from Devon to SW Scotland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......and that's a plus ????
Yes, on lightly used roads, to reach a 2-3 lane road in good condition in a beautiful scenic region with light traffic on each occasion we have used it. It makes the A38 Plymouth to Exeter look like a dodgem ride.

I lost count of the times in the Galloway Forest seeing no cars ahead or astern of me, reminded me of a visit to the Algonquin Forest Park in Canada. Roy will understand.

I can imagine Devon and cornwall are like sardine cans and just way to crowded to enjoy living, SW Scotland is a fairly large area from Stranraer to M74 and upto Glasgow so anywhere in particular ? The weather is probably not that bad until you compare it to the SW of England so similar to Cumbria and far nicer scenery. Scotland is a country as it used to have it's own monarchy, it should be it's own boss by now.
Your imagination is confused. Have you ever been to the SW? It's mainly rural with a couple of cities and a load of little towns nestling on the coastlines. It's a far cry from Cumbria but then, that area is quite a busy little place. The Lake District is good for a visit but overcrowded in the summer season. Nor much else to see, I suppose.

My bestie lives near Dalbeattie and I’m always struck by the sheer beauty of the landscape. I think you’ll love it.

Best of luck with the move, not an activity I’d wish on anyone but the pain will pass!

Anyone done it recently?

Recommended movers and a ball-park figure for a 3 bed houseful plus tools would be welcome.
Moved from Cambridgeshire to Oban six months ago. Can highly recommend Guardian Removals, based on Edinburgh but cover the while of Scotland and regularly do runs down to southern England. No nonsense, friendly and super efficient.
We've swapped a noisy village (thanks A14) for a quiet and delightful little town on the coast. People wonderful, traffic virtually non existent.
Workshop beginning to take shape, will be twice the size of my last one. I'm going to spend the next 20 years filling it with tools.

Did it from Yorkshire in 2010. If I remember rightly it was about a grand. Right now I’m in the process of moving 4 miles away and it’s 2 grand! That’s inflation for you!!

Because of the distance, you will end up with a three day move: a day to pack, a day to drive and a day to unpack. I’d budget £3-3.5k.
We moved from Gloucestershire to Devon 5 months ago and it cost us double that I’m afraid (including a double garage workshop of stuff). Some quotes were north of £10k

The best place in the world I lived in Saltcoats for 25 years but had to come down to Yorkshire age, youngest son, to sort things out in case ect ect. I bought a large ford transit van and made four trips down to Yorkshire then sold the van. I moved everything using an engine lift alone at 89 years old it was hard work but a large saving.

Attachments

• 20221031_122100.jpg
    20221031_122100.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • Move 2 (1).jpg
    Move 2 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB
  • Move 2 (2).jpg
    Move 2 (2).jpg
    2.6 MB
Hi Chubber, we did something similar mid 2017. Moved from near Newton Abbot, Devon to near Chester so not as far as you. Had a lot of stuff, 4 bed house, workshop and a lot of garden stuff. Cost about £4k for removers. One thing to watch for, any breakages/problems have to be notified quickly, 24 hours for us, and they stick to that. Suggest as part of the deal you get an in writing longer declaration time.

you would need to get a few quotes , when i moved just from surrey to sussex about 80miles I got 3 quotes and the difference between them was £1000 and that was in 2018 (we paid about £600) to move a 3 bed house , and shed , no garage
But i cleared out the loft and did a lot of trips to the dmp and charity shops before hand - Plus the house we moved into was mother-in-laws and so we took a few things ourselves in the year before after she died

the company i went with was brilliant and did everything i asked and nothing was too much trouble
not sure if they do devon to scotland -

https://www.phoenixrisingremovals.co.uk/

Have you ever been to the SW
Lets say that Brixham in the seventies was a much nicer and less crowded place than it was in the nineties so what it is like now can only be imagined but it will be even worse. Even lands end has become a theme park when it was once nothing more than a single wooden post.

We went to South Hams area this year , first time for a few years , used to go 2-3 times a year with the kids and on own , salcombe , kingsbridge etc camping and holiday homes of various description, my other half went there as a kid and also used to go sailing over easter staying in the old liverpool ferry
just become a playground for the rich now
Huge yaught was in the habour owned by some billionaire , took up a lot of the water where we used to sail
Salcombe used to be very busy, but still a lot of boat repairs/sellers and local shops , now our impression was its all designer cloths, gin and cafe's
not in a hurry to go back again

Back