Lidl Offers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I am the only one who doesn't know but recently I visited Lidl which is on the less visited side of town for me, and had a look at their offers, one was a furniture moving dolly, the label said regular £9.99 Lidl plus price £7.99

So I picked one up, got a few other bits, paid and left, when I got home I found they had charged me full price, so today I went back to be told, oh thats a Lidl plus price did I use the app? what app said I, and they wouldn't budge so I will return the item for a full refund (it was only bought on a whim and not specifically required)

So in a nutshell, any offers they have are only if you use their app, you know the type that hoovers up all your data from your phone regardless of what its got to do with them

I hope Aldi don't go down the same line, its an insidious way to do business IMHO

I also notice that several of the newspapers now require you to pay to read their stories online, or be inundated with their cookies, so they go unread

Paying to read news is hardly a novel idea.

I didn't say it was, but up until very recently the headlines we are bombarded with on facebook etc were at least readable once you rejected their cookies and blocked the hundreds of "interested" parties

Now it seems you can only read if you pay or accept their cookies, so I don't read

Big warning from me , I purchased a impact gun , Didn't really need one but it would come in handy, Also it came with a 3 year guarantee , It went wrong so I took it back to Lidl with the recipt that I kept with the tool . Found a staff member in store , Told him the problem , Showed him the recipt , Off he went to see his manager , Came back and said " You only get the 3 year guarantee if you buy direct from Parkside in Germany , Lidl only give a 1 year guarantee , That's it for me , NO MORE tools from Lidl.

Big warning from me , I purchased a impact gun , Didn't really need one but it would come in handy, Also it came with a 3 year guarantee , It went wrong so I took it back to Lidl with the recipt that I kept with the tool . Found a staff member in store , Told him the problem , Showed him the recipt , Off he went to see his manager , Came back and said " You only get the 3 year guarantee if you buy direct from Parkside in Germany , Lidl only give a 1 year guarantee , That's it for me , NO MORE tools from Lidl.
I'd bring that to small claim court!

Search for bypass paywall. Lots of free ways.

Thanks for the suggestion but my point being it should not be neccesary, if they want us to read their stories (which are very often misleading or irrelevant) they should make it easy to do so, there are plenty of other avenues to read the news for free, not that I seek it out

So far having bought quite a few things from Aldi I have had no problem when something needed to be returned, never a quibble, but can't recall if I have returned something under warranty over a year?

To be fair, if you want proper journalism you should pay for it.

If you don't want to pay for it, expect adverts, data harvesting and clickbait/trashy journalism.

To be fair, if you want proper journalism you should pay for it.

If you don't want to pay for it, expect adverts, data harvesting and clickbait/trashy journalism.
Depends what you call proper journalism, all journalism is rubbish, warped and bent to the needs of the publisher or their owners, but if we are bombarded with links to stories, they should be unencumbered with cookies, I can put up with adverts (to a point) but do not accept the need for having my computer infested with a lot of "legitimate interest" companies cookies

You think Lidl are bad look at Tesco's club card price against normal price I think it insults anyone that does not have the card at least with Lidl you get free items and 10 % off if you spend a certain amount each month. And while I'm on have you noticed the electronic price labels on the shelves for ease of price changing, yea

And while I'm on have you noticed the electronic price labels on the shelves for ease of price changing, yea
And what's wrong with that?
Worth remembering that the SEL (Shelf edge label) is only an OFFER to sell at that price, they aren't required to sell at that price.

And what's wrong with that?
Worth remembering that the SEL (Shelf edge label) is only an OFFER to sell at that price, they aren't required to sell at that price.
But, if they offer it at a price and you accept, is it acceptable, for them, to charge a higher price at the till without informing you.?

It happens a lot.

Lets say something is mispriced on the SEL, the numpty with the Texlon printed the label £29.99 instead of £299.99, the store is under no obligation to sell for £29.99

Once money has exchanged hands and the contract between customer and store is complete, then all bets are off, the store can raise merry hell but the contract is completed.

Depends what you call proper journalism, all journalism is rubbish, warped and bent to the needs of the publisher or their owners, but if we are bombarded with links to stories, they should be unencumbered with cookies, I can put up with adverts (to a point) but do not accept the need for having my computer infested with a lot of "legitimate interest" companies cookies
All journalism isn't rubbish. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Under the sales of goods act you have a 7 year guarantee. Tell them you will take it to Trading Standards. They need to repair it free of charge.

Per Dave: "Under the sales of goods act you have a 7 year guarantee. Tell them you will take it to Trading Standards. They need to repair it free of charge."

They will know this is just hot air and probably laugh. Trading standards as we used to know it years ago barely exists these days. It primarily deals with major incidents of illegal trading (which this isn't) and for absolutely everything else they push you to Citizens Advice, which is also a mere shadow of what it used to be and is now mainly delivered on line or by phone, with minimal truly qualified expertise.

The sale of goods act, which people still often refer to in forums such as this, was superseded in 2015. It was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act on 1 October 2015. The "7 year guarantee" is a myth. You have 6 years from date of purchase to pursue a remedy subject to the not entirely straightforward conditions in the Act.

Cost of litigation for small sums is prohibitive. Judge will look at reasonableness among other things. Some battles are not worth wasting our lives on.

Back