Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned the ivy off this morning and measured it, it's 7.5m and too heavy to roll, especially with the dog leg at the heavier end.
20240815_114328.jpg

We were away in East Sussex this weekend at a gig …at a very nice country house venue. At the rear of the venue were 4 100+ year old oak trees and around the base of one of them were a collection of 2ft lengths of a fallen bough. A quick chat with the owners and I had a nice crotch piece - potential leg or two for a waterfall table

View attachment 183332

After bark removal, wire brushing and treating the ends with Tung oil/white spirit mix

View attachment 183333
View attachment 183334

The piece is 600 high and 600 across …the limbs are 200mm in dia …..has been in the ‘pile’ for 2 years
Or ship's knee.

Paper delivery day today, after putting the boxes away this gorgeous thing was left on the floor, not sure what the wood is but the grain is beautiful, I'll take more pics once I get it deconstructed20241016_180149.jpg

Pallets... if they are coloured, or are composite then DONT BURN THEM
I had a load (25) delivered. Most I used and burnt the off cuts the coloured and composite and was very ill
There is so many poisons in the wood. I was getting bright green and blue flames..... the arsenic

My latest wood
It’s recovered from the sea, now drying on the herth don’t know what it is
Edit
Since getting that wood I obtained some silver Burch, a chunk about 2ft long and 8 inch die

Attachments

• ECBD65A3-A084-4638-A9CD-489900DA578B.jpeg
    ECBD65A3-A084-4638-A9CD-489900DA578B.jpeg
    3.1 MB
My latest wood
It’s recovered from the sea, now drying on the herth don’t know what it is
Edit
Since getting that wood I obtained some silver Burch, a chunk about 2ft long and 8 inch die
Will the salt continue to attract moisture? I am sometimes gifted items off the beach but worry about the salt. Leaving them to dry is never a problem as I always have other projects to be getting on with. :rolleyes:

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag but Pallets are just wood.
While often they may not cost anything, they are far from free. Along with suspect wood, there is the time & effort of disassembly and milling to get them into usable condition.
When I see a pallet I think, what can I stack on that, not what can I make from it.
If it's the only way you can get wood fine but more often than not, there are too many cons to outweigh the pros. It has to be the "right" pallet for me to consider it for anything more than it's original use.
JMHO

Latest posts

Back