laser cutting / etching

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonysuffolk

Reaction score
does one machine do both ? if i get a laser cutter will i be able to etch/engrave onto wooden surfaces

Tony

Generally speaking full power with a slow speed will cut through wood or plastic. Low power with a high speed will engrave the surface. Much depends on the power and type of laser you're referring to.

It's a broad question but the short answer is yes, you just need to experiment and decide power, speed and how many passes to make. You'll need a program such as Lightburn or the free alternative as well as a laser.

Mine is a Creality Falcon2 (22w) but there are a lot of makes and models to choose from. Depends on your budget and what you intend to do with it.
There are numerous videos on youtube showing how to engrave if you look.

Unless you're single, or want to be, ;) don't overlook the fact you'll need to make or buy an enclosure with extraction especially if you intend to use it in the house. I'm not that stupid, I can't afford a divorce.

Hi Thanks for your reply's what i want to do is to etch a pattern/design onto a walking stick that i made so i need to have something with a device to turn the stick as it etches. Is this even possible.

Tony

You'll need a rotary (chuck or roller) to go with your laser if you want to engrave/etch anything circular.

Hi Thanks for your reply's what i want to do is to etch a pattern/design onto a walking stick that i made so i need to have something with a device to turn the stick as it etches. Is this even possible.

Tony
A rotary will only work if your walking stick is a perfectly straight cylinder, which I suspect it won't be. There are also size constraints to bear in mind, most desktop lasers have a maximum working length of 400mm. Have you thought about a pyrographic pen - I think that's what they're called.

slightly depends - there are plenty of open lasers that will take any length item / even have conveyor belts to move the item (e.g. the xTool F1)
there is new technology out for curves - so you can either use a rotary (laser thinks it is flat, the rotary tool moves the item to the right place) or technology such as 3D curve on the S1 allows the laser to adjust focus on the fly for curves surfaces... combine that with a rotary and the S1 should cope with uneven surfaces... though may not be long enough for the walking stick!

laser tech. is moving on considerably so keep watching!

Back