Keir Starmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1728218122877.png

And it goes on. The duplicitous Sue Gray, who also took freebies from people who have no desire to influence labour at all, has taken another high paid and pensioned job in kneelers gift, to avoid being the story.
She is leaving after a month in post and will take up a new role as the PM's envoy for nations and regions? What the hell is that?

I used to frequent a US-based musicians forum of old guys my age. I'm a lifelong guitar player and sometime luthier and repairer. We discussed music from the 50s and 60s, guitars and amps etc., and over the 15 years or so I was on there regularly I made some really good friends, so much so that I attended a couple of gatherings over there.

There was a no politics rule but a couple of posters couldn't help themselves and after a few suspensions the moderators were persuaded to create a no-holds-barred off topic forum.

This was around the time that politics and society in general over there was becoming more and more polarised and within a couple of years that off-topic forum became a microcosm of the country with such acrimony and mean spirit that there was a massive exodus of the more left-leaning types. Crazy really, because anyone who has spent any time in the USA knows that politics as we know it is really either right of centre or a bit more right of centre there.

Nowadays that board is just a bunch of old Trump MAGA types shouting into a void. Really sad to see.

It worries me that this country is going the same way. I don't do social media but my partner does and some of the things she shows me on Facebook scare the cr*p out of me. Being shared by family and friends. And what the hell is happening to YouTube? It used to be a place where you went to watch funny cat videos, or stuff about motors and aeroplanes. Now it's full of the weirdest conspiracy theories.

I can understand the Daily Mail pushing all their right wing stuff, it sells papers, but where is all this deluge of divisive cr*p coming from on social media. In whose interests is a totally divided and demoralised country?

My partner said something the other day. We're walking her dog in the park, by Poole harbour on a lovely sunny morning. I'm my usual curmudgeonly, ennui-filled, grumpy-old-man self. She's smiling and saying "Morning!" to all the other dog walkers as we're walking round, like she does every morning. I remark on this and she says "Well, if you smile at someone they might be having a hard time and it might brighten their day. And if they then smile at someone, and so on, that smile might go all around the world."

If you got this far thanks for listening.
Off topic but I guess from your handle you must be a fan of Selmer amps. I used them for well over 18 years and for 14 years during my 'pro' period. from the late 60s to early 80s
Great amps.

She is leaving after a month in post and will take up a new role as the PM's envoy for nations and regions? What the hell is that?
Cronyism is just so engrained in this lot that they seem to think it is normal, I thought the foreign secretary handled a lot of that but obviously they needed to park old Sue up somewhere and I wonder if she retains that over sized paypacket. What is more worrying than old sue is that in times like this you need good statesmen with diplomatic skills to hold things together yet these muppets are looking to get us involved in conflict with Iran which would just ignite the middle east and then watch oil prices soar as we have no fall back on Russian oil like last time round and guess who ends up with even higher cost of living.

I am just so utterly disappointed in him, I wanted him to win, I thought we were getting someone beyond reproach, someone who would be the opposite of Boris, someone honest and decent, someone who we could trust - but its just more of the same
You fault 🙈

Off topic but I guess from your handle you must be a fan of Selmer amps. I used them for well over 18 years and for 14 years during my 'pro' period. from the late 60s to early 80s
Great amps.
Yep. I had a grey Twin Selectortone (with KT88 output valves!) for many years. Sold it for a LOT more than I bought it for a few years ago. Still have an AC30 with blue speakers that I can't part with even though my gigging days are long gone. Not to mention a pile of other old amps and guitars.

No apologies for going off topic. Yet another politics thread. Guaranteed to do my head in.

It's an imaginary job that the PM created out of thin air as Gray knows where all the skeletons are, plus the truth about her "impartial" enquiry into Boris et al. She was toxic in No 10 by media accounts and indiscreet moles, so she had to be clingfilmed, but she is unsackable.

People apparently, "Wanted a change" because "It was time for a change" they were sick of the Tories "Sleaze and maladministration"

And now we have Labour doing the same.

No real change at all.

Great stuff.

The whole setup with it's two horse race needs sorting. It's too comfortable for them.

I used to think FPTP was the way to vote, but after this latest fiasco, we should have PR, stop any of them getting in on such low numbers of votes.
To be fair the older I get the more I think pr would be better the problem would be the first 50-100 years of chaos whilst everyone adjusts to the different way of doing politics!

Bearing in mind that his conclusion is that the donors are generally from the sectors you would expect, gambling etc. And their motivation is exactly what you would think it to be, ie to buy influence.
Rather contradicts your point of view I would have thought?
I did watch it yes, and you'll see that I pointed that out that James Cleverly had received tickets( and a really nice lunch) while foreign secretary

As was pointed out in relation to Mr Moorhouse's point.

And I agree with you completely. MP's should be banned from having a 2nd job. We pay them a great deal, and not just the 90k basic. there are expenses on top of that and that in itself more than doubles their salary.
The 2nd(or 3rd,4rth) means they are being influenced to those offering the job.
Have you seen the sting set up by 'Led by Donkeys' "Mp's for hire"

Its pretty hilarious, in a shocking sort of way how Kwasi Kwarteng went from the $10k/month, to 15k sterling, and when given a figure of 8k a day literally fell over himself to change from the figure he initially wanted to the much higher rate.

They've also recently taken out a billboard in Clacton with a big picture of Furage on it and how much he earns from 'Members interests' (over £120k) since becoming an MP. £120k in a matter of a couple of months.

Last edited:
We pay them a great deal, and not just the 90k basic. there are expenses on top of that and that in itself more than doubles their salary.
I know it seems like a great deal to some. But it isn't. Here is the problem: bright and motivated people, who are fit and healthy, well educated and personable can and do earn multiples of what MPs earn. This is just a fact. People may not like it but salaries in the hundreds of thousands and upwards are not that unusual for people who direct and run large businesses.

We presumably want the best and brightest as MPs - but such people are not interested in £90k per annum and all the media scrutiny and public opprobrium that goes with it. Hence, as so often in life, we get what we pay for.

Belgium appears to manage ok for a couple of years at a time without a government.
Not a good comparison. Belgium is run on a federalised basis (like USA, Switzerland, Germany etc) and has 5 regional governments. In addition an interim national government was in place from 2018-20.
More locally N. Ireland had no government for 2 years and that didn't work out too well.

I know it seems like a great deal to some. But it isn't.
Oh yes it is. Median salaried income UK is about £35k. £90k puts you in the top 5%
Here is the problem: bright and motivated people, who are fit and healthy, well educated and personable can and do earn multiples of what MPs earn.
Also some stupid and malign people can earn multiples etc. Farage MP is one of the biggest earners but is certainly not one of the brightest and best!

We presumably want the best and brightest as MPs - but such people are not interested in £90k per annum
If the money is the main issue then we are better off without them.
Perhaps MP salary should be a means tested benefit? Paying the median figure (£35k) plus generous expenses would mean that absolutely anybody could afford to be an MP. People with means of their own could be means tested in the usual way.

Last edited:
It seems that all political parties in UK are inhabited by self seeking Rsoles who seem to mirror the antics of the Mafia.
Regarding Starmer. If Kim Phil was still on the planet he would probably say "That's my Boy".
Final Rant! Starmer states his father was a tool maker. It looks like Starmer refers to his father's procreational ability and he is spot on.
Sorry if this offends but just now "Free Speech" still exists.

To be fair the older I get the more I think pr would be better the problem would be the first 50-100 years of chaos whilst everyone adjusts to the different way of doing politics!
That'd be instead of the 50 - 100 years of chaos we'll have anyway?
Not that I'll be bothered I suppose after a few of those years,

A sop, because he's too windy to just get shut of her?

Another 'non-job', like Deputy PM.

'Gray would take on a new government role as the 'prime minister’s envoy for the regions and nations', No 10 announced, as Starmer shook up his entire top-team after facing intense pressure to put an end to the hostile briefings that had at times overshadowed his first 100 days'.

'The political director at No 10, Vidhya Alakeson, and the director of government relations, Jill Cuthbertson, have been promoted to Starmer’s deputy chiefs of staff'.

'Nin Pandit, the director of the Downing Street policy unit, has been appointed parliamentary private secretary to the prime minister, while the former journalist James Lyons will join to head up a new strategic communications team. ('Head of Propaganda'?)'

'The prime minister has sought to change the narrative, and said he made the five changes to his team to: “strengthen his Downing Street operation ahead of marking his first 100 days in office”. In a written statement, he said: “I’m really pleased to be able to bring in such talented and experienced individuals into my team. This shows my absolute determination to deliver the change the country voted for.”

That suggests he picked all the wrong people when he put his team together.

A lot of new highly-paid grandiose jobs when we're told there's no money in the kitty - just a £22Bn black hole. I wonder if they've all got job descriptions so the boundaries of which does what are clear, or are they all going to be scrapping like rats in a sack over 'who does what'?

By 'change the narrative', he means 'spin' to paint a more positive picture, but It's like putting lipstick on a pig to make it look pretty.

As to ''delivering the change the country voted for'', what we voted for was: stability, leadership, integrity, competence, a firm hand on the tiller, steering a steady course with a 'moral compass'. Not someone who rearranges the deckchairs on the Titanic while the band plays on.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...31&cvid=393d74d7357f432aad386a76982164f5&ei=6

It's an imaginary job that the PM created out of thin air as Gray knows where all the skeletons are, plus the truth about her "impartial" enquiry into Boris et al. She was toxic in No 10 by media accounts and indiscreet moles, so she had to be clingfilmed, but she is unsackable.
You believe that carp? Simon Case is widely rumoured to be the leaky source, and Gray will have been a prime mover behind his sacking (he's a disgrace, witness his convenient absence from the COVID inquiry and rapid return to work afterwards).

Back