Jet JPT-260 spare parts - have I made a mistake buying this machine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGyver

Reaction score
On the weekend my near new just out of warranty DeWalt DW-733 thicknesser motor burnt out. I have hardly used this unit but it appears to have a very low duty cycle 1 minute ON 2mins OFF (30%).

On the same day the fence clamp on my bench top planer broke. Ugh.

Ok, so I rushed to buy a used planer thicknesser - a Jet JPT-260. So it needs a new outfeed roller and while I am at it I should probably replace the bearings which are a known issue with this machine.

I jump on the net and am shocked to find….very little. Even on eBay so few spare parts for these machines which is surprising because as far as I can tell you can still buy them new.

I have contacted Axminster, just waiting to hear back but have I made a mistake buying this machine?
Do Jet machines share parts with any other makes?
Any suggestions of where to source parts?
IMG_7218.jpeg

Do you have a pic of the outfeed roller and why it needs replacing.
Bearings are fairly standard, once you have one out you can either measure it or take it to a bearing supply place.
Ian

Bearings are such a standard item that no firm in it's right mind would get a custom size made.
Disassemble your machine, pull the bearings and just look for the code etched into the side of the outer race. Even if unmarked, you just need to measure the key dimensions accurately and then someone like bearingboys or simplybearings will sort you out with top quality replacements from SKF/NSK/FAG.
Buying best generic will save you money compared to going to a dealer for official spares and potentially get you a better bearing too.

I think you’ll be ok, it’s just about sourcing them. Searching for jpt260 parts diagram and you can find the part number jpt260-094 is the outfeed roller. Searching for this part number it comes up on a number of European websites so you should be able to get it one you find the distributor in uk.

I sold my jet table saw when axminster stopped selling spare parts.

Only other place I could find was in France and the postage far exceeded the price for small items.

Do you have a pic of the outfeed roller and why it needs replacing.
Bearings are fairly standard, once you have one out you can either measure it or take it to a bearing supply place.
Ian
Rubber is delaminated from the outfeed roller and the bearings are plain bearings made from 'powdered steel' as circled in the image. Replacement bearings are 'powdered brass' and Tool France (thanks for the heads up @Nick.) have quoted £50 each! I passed on them and will just keep the steel ones well lubricated.

Outfeed roller was £68.40 incl. £30 delivery.

The rubber can be replaced by a roller reconditioning company. They do it for printers etc and can recommend the correct hardness (about 70 Shore D) for the operation the roller does. A very quick search and I found a bunch. Here are 3 to look into.

http://www.amcrollers.co.uk/applications/roller-repair-recovery/

https://www.tennantrubber.co.uk/capabilities/roller-covering

https://www.recoverrollers.co.uk

My 1980s Hitachi planer jointer uses similar steel bearings. They call for turbine oil as a lubricant. I went to some local aircraft maintenance companies at the local airport and one had an open can they couldn't use because it went uncovered for a few days. Can't be sure it wasn't contaminated with dirt etc. They gave it to me and I have several lifetimes worth now. I think a good synthetic engine oil would be more than enough.

Pete

Certainly a nice option to sleeve with oilite @Sideways and thanks for the tip about the turbine oil @Inspector.

As for getting the roller reconditioned, I imagine it would cost more that a new one (currently) but something to keep in mind. Thanks

Certainly a nice option to sleeve with oilite @Sideways and thanks for the tip about the turbine oil @Inspector.

As for getting the roller reconditioned, I imagine it would cost more that a new one (currently) but something to keep in mind. Thanks
I can't say what your roller would cost to recondition vs a replacement but a pair of Makita feed rollers (12" wide) for a 2030 planer jointer costs in the neighbourhood of $500Cad where reconditioned ones are well under $200Cad for the pair. Worth looking into before assuming the new ones would be cheaper if they are even available.

Pete

Latest posts

Back