Is there a definitive pillar drill - new or used - that is better than the Bosch PBD40 for the same money?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPG

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I registered an account specifically to ask this question, because after days of research, I still can't figure out the answer. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking at pillar drills at the moment, and for the price, the Bosch PBD40 seems to be the best value on the market right now. I'm just a hobbyist woodworker, mainly working on my own renovations in the house, so I never intend to have a pillar drill for anything more than light use. Mostly wood, but possibly some metals, too.

Whenever I see people asking about pillar drills, including this one, the advice is to by an older used pillar drill, but no advice is ever given beyond that. There's millions of old pillar drills on the market, but every time I research specific ones that pop up on Marketplace, etc, the reviews are always full of complaints about wobbling, accuracy, etc.. I'm yet to see a pillar drill review that doesn't have a laundry list of dealbreakers from my perspective.

So what I want to ask is what's in the title. Is the PBD40 worth buying (I plan to modify the wheel and put lever arms on it), or is there another brand for the same money I should get instead? I don't mind spending a fraction etra if it's worth it. Similarly, is there a used model of something I should keep on the lookout for that will likely be in this price range?

Thanks in advance!

Also look a Korean Naerok drills quality yet not stupidly expensive not massively heavy but a step up from Chinese made stuff.

Hi everyone,

I registered an account specifically to ask this question, because after days of research, I still can't figure out the answer. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking at pillar drills at the moment, and for the price, the Bosch PBD40 seems to be the best value on the market right now. I'm just a hobbyist woodworker, mainly working on my own renovations in the house, so I never intend to have a pillar drill for anything more than light use. Mostly wood, but possibly some metals, too.

Whenever I see people asking about pillar drills, including this one, the advice is to by an older used pillar drill, but no advice is ever given beyond that. There's millions of old pillar drills on the market, but every time I research specific ones that pop up on Marketplace, etc, the reviews are always full of complaints about wobbling, accuracy, etc.. I'm yet to see a pillar drill review that doesn't have a laundry list of dealbreakers from my perspective.

So what I want to ask is what's in the title. Is the PBD40 worth buying (I plan to modify the wheel and put lever arms on it), or is there another brand for the same money I should get instead? I don't mind spending a fraction etra if it's worth it. Similarly, is there a used model of something I should keep on the lookout for that will likely be in this price range?

Thanks in advance!
Hi - I have a PBD40 and I am happy with it. I feel it’s somewhat irrelevant comparing it to an old Meddings type drills as with the PBD40 you can pick it up easily to move it to where you want to work and it’s easy to store away whereas an older drill will be heavy and you may need to be kept in a fixed location (unless you want a hernia from moving it around).

I have no beef with older machines and would have one if I had a dedicated workshop - it’s ‘horses for courses’ - there is no definitive answer.

Crack on and buy it.
There are numerous weaknesses with the drill, mostly to do with the light weight build. The column is a bit of commodity pipe, the injection mouldings are soft aluminium at best, etc etc.
But. It has a powerful motor as small pillar drills go and that compensates for the fact that it is relying on electronics to vary the speed by a factor of 4 to 1.
It may well be that that 750W motor is as useful as a one third horsepower AC motor that you might find on a small conventional bench drill and easier to vary speeds than moving the belt on most drills.

There are far better drills out there that will last lifetimes longer, but the good vintage ones are getting thinner on the ground. As a "hobbyist woodworker" who only intends to do light work, leave the good old machines for the folk who appreciate them and will put them to good use.

Back